Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: It Begins: The S3 1.8T into my '85 Mk2 GTI

Not even a 3 door mk3? They are less rare than a mk2 one.

Users Country Flag
    You may actually find a well sorted Mk3 isn't much different to drive than a Mk2. It is a FAR stiffer and safer shell and allows a lot more tyre under the bodywork to put the power down.

I know I may sound like I have a double standard going, but my Mk1 is far from a daily driver!

When you want to use the car everyday, that puts a totally different spin on things

Personally, I think all Golfs 1-3 are great (the later ones are not the same car to drive, though still good fun). As a daily driver, all things considered, I wouldn't highly modify a Mk1 or Mk2: they are old and demand a lot more respect and patience

1976 Project Carbon Mk1 - Sold! | 2015 Lotus Exige Cup | F80 M3 Family Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Valver. View Post
    You may actually find a well sorted Mk3 isn't much different to drive than a Mk2. It is a FAR stiffer and safer shell and allows a lot more tyre under the bodywork to put the power down.

I know I may sound like I have a double standard going, but my Mk1 is far from a daily driver!

When you want to use the car everyday, that puts a totally different spin on things

Personally, I think all Golfs 1-3 are great (the later ones are not the same car to drive, though still good fun). As a daily driver, all things considered, I wouldn't highly modify a Mk1 or Mk2: they are old and demand a lot more respect and patience
    that summed it up well. although you can always stiffen up the mk1 or mk2 chassis with some good ol' mild steel and a welder
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFBALLS View Post
    There's also another navy blue 3 door i see
    is it non gti and has small bumpers? could be the one that used to be over here. was on ebay a fair while back, ive been looking for it

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshyd-mk2gti View Post
    is it non gti and has small bumpers? could be the one that used to be over here. was on ebay a fair while back, ive been looking for it
    Its a small bumper GTI.
    My GTI is small bumper but has a slightly different grille. It a 7 vent while most other GTI small bumper cars i've seen have the 5 vent GTI grille. Mine must be REALLY early mk2??
    I'm still thinking. Maybe mk3 shell isnt such a bad thing. I just prefer the look of the mk2 and it attracts so many curious looks.
    I will get this AMK engine out of the S3, have it assessed by Joe at GOLFWAGEN in Wangara and if there's hidden internal damage too expensive to quickly repair then i'll have to keep it stored and really take my time with this project. The S3 shell will have to go soon to make room for my mangled GTI.
    If it all gets too hard i might sell it all, give up and buy something else altogether.
    I really want this to work, but every single step so far has been a fight all the way and i'm fast running out of energy.
    wade

Just take your time mate. One step at a time.

Get the engine checked and go from there. Pop it in storage, and work slowly with what you've got. I've found with all the different ideas around and different mods and what not, it's easy to loose what you first had in mind, the origional plan/goal. Take a step back and take some time to asses what you want. In time your origional plan/idea will come back to you, and I'm sure you'll be refreshed.

A bit of "tunnel vision" is maybe what you need. Stick to your orig plan. Get a new shell and pop in the S3 donk. This like the accidents are just a minor set back. Just work your way around it, and I'm sure you'll be happy in the end!

Just my two bob worth.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

There was a mk2 Jetta, 1990 model I think thats for sale in rockingham for around 3,
    I would put the golf headlights/grille etc on it with the 20vt you would have a nice project car.

Ian
    2.0L 16v Audi 80 - Project
    3.0L 30v Audi A6 quattro - Daily

Hmmm. Nice idea but i need a hatch or stationwagon because i'm a full time drummer.
    Ian, are you the guy with the red GTI I met at GOLFWAGEN?
    Wade

stay the mk2 route i reckon, something different and a 5 door mk2 has sleeper value and are a great car.
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

I test drove a 2L mk3 today just for a try. It went very well. My mechanic says either its been modded a bit or is one of those freak cars. HMMM.
    Someone sell me a 5-door mk2 for christ's sake!!

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast