Support VWWC

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: It Begins: The S3 1.8T into my '85 Mk2 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFBALLS View Post
    Well guys, it was written off for sure this morning
    The Shannons guy was great and said i should get around $4000 payout and keep the wreck.
    He said it is repairable but would be expensive. I think I might strip it for parts and use them to build a 20vt GTI replica using another mk2 shell. Someone might want the GTI shell to repair later as its prolly bent about 12-15mm upwards at the front roofline.
    Either that, or i buy the orange mk1 i've been spying from a mate in melbourne and keep the GTI for a later stage and rebuild that myself.
    Or... maybe buy that mk1 and put the 1.8T in that, and sell off the mk2 stuff???
    Who's got some advice?
    Wade
    thats awsome... parts for these cars are wearing very thin so its great you get to keep the wreck. 4000 is a very generous payout too. i say keep the same plans get another mk2 and do the conversion
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

hey mate sorry to hear about your crash , like said earlier better before than just after you fitted all the stuff. good luck with the hunt for a new one, there are still a few around, if not then get a mk1 but they arent as nice daily driving tho. but it would be balls out power in a mk1 lol.
    cheers brenton
    MK1 4door
    MK2VR6
    MK3VR6
    Transporter
    1st place, stock MK3VR6. Vw nationals 07
    2nd place, mod MK2VR6. Vw nationals 09
    and untold wrecks

mk 1 conversion would be awesum. It would be damn quick and a shed load of fun, but as brenton said, maybe not as comfy as a daily, but then again, who cares about comfort? hahaha There are plenty of mk 1 coming up for sale recently. so you should have a good chance of getting a dencently straight 3 door even. I'm not sure how hard it is to find a mk 2 tho, your choice, but either would be good. Also remeber you can use most of the parts off your mk 2 if you get a mk 2 shell, so in that sense you won't be "wasting" your mk 2 or it's parts atleast.

Real sorry to hear about the crash tho, lucky it didn't happen after you had done the conversion

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

stick with the mk2. its what you chose earlier, so find another one. hopefully you can find a cheap auto one somewhere.

Users Country Flag
    Dare I say it, but I'd use a Mk3 base car instead. The conversion will work out a a lot cheaper as you needn't spend so much money converting/replacing/reinforcing components to take the power. The S3 parts will also bolt in easily in a lot of cases.

Far better daily driver too

1976 Project Carbon Mk1 - Sold! | 2015 Lotus Exige Cup | F80 M3 Family Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Valver. View Post
    Dare I say it, but I'd use a Mk3 base car instead. The conversion will work out a a lot cheaper as you needn't spend so much money converting/replacing/reinforcing components to take the power. The S3 parts will also bolt in easily in a lot of cases.

ohhh man how could you say that... i see dozens of mk3's everyday but maybe 3 or 4 mk2's a year.
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    ohhh man how could you say that... i see dozens of mk3's everyday but maybe 3 or 4 mk2's a year.
    Because it's sound advice Of course a Mk1 or Mk2 is going to be more fun, but the former car, especially, costs a LOT of money to modify!! The Mk2 at least avoids engine mount problems.

1976 Project Carbon Mk1 - Sold! | 2015 Lotus Exige Cup | F80 M3 Family Wheels

Because it's sound advice Of course a Mk1 or Mk2 is going to be more fun, but the former car, especially, costs a LOT of money to modify!! The Mk2 at least avoids engine mount problems.
    ah well i guess for me im doing an mk2 conversion because i genuinely love that model and i'm most certainly not doing it for comfort, reliability, money saving or sensibility! from what ive seen heard and researched the mk2 isnt all that much trouble to get the 20vt engine into anyway.

true, it is good advice to put it in a newer shell depending on what the car will be used for, but it wont be nearly as special or noteworthy... all this just my own opinion btw!
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Exactly what I was thinking.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sorry, but I most certainly will NOT be changing to the Mk3. Its like a flabby mk2 with a bad nose job!!
    I actually saw FOUR mk2's around Perth yesterday on the way to roccodingo's!!!
    I saw one parked in the city the other day so i went to see if it was still there and to leave a note on it. As I was sitting at the lights just around the corner i looked in my mirror and there was another white one behind me!! I beeped and signalled at him to pull over but i think i just freaked him out. He drove away.
    There's also another navy blue 3 door i see parked outside a house often so i went there to make an offer but the woman said she wouldn't sell it for anything. dont blame her! There was a VR6 parked next to it that her hubby owned that might be for sale. Thats about the only mk3 i would consider!
    Also gotta go check on another silver GL i've seen on a certain nature strip today and see if owner will sell.
    My family and friends are not car people and are putting serious pressure on me to just let it go and buy a normal car. They just don't get it. I'm so sick of trying to explain...
    wade

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast