Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: It Begins: The S3 1.8T into my '85 Mk2 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFBALLS View Post
    AAAHHH! I stacked my GTI last night!!! Going a teeny bit too quick around a blind corner at night on an unfamiliar bit of road, WHOA, T-JUNCTION!... locked inside front... straight on into and over the curb and into the dust! Conveniently there was a big, square concrete drain culvert built into the curb to bounce over!
    It was badly lit, there was no give way sign and the dead end sign at the t-junction had been nicked from its posts!! Intersection just came from nowhere.
    Amazingly and testament to the build quality of our beloved VW's nothing actually broke off the car and it was still running with both headlights ablaze when it came to rest!
    BUT.. the passenger front wheel ended up bent back up under the the front door hinge, which in turn has pushed the whole A pillar upwards causing the windscreen to fracture and it has also pushed and slightly buckled the roofline up, so it looks terminal i'm afraid!
    All this just three days after finally getting the S3 donor car
    So the shannons guy will check it over and most likely write it off in the next coupla days.
    Anyone out there selling a 5 door mk2?
    oh no! let us know how that turns out... so you had comp insurance on the car then?

dont worry though, 5dr mk2's are for sale nearly constantly so you'll be able to find one especially if you get a nice insurance payout lump.
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

man that sucks. you don't seem too pissed off, i sure would be. was it a 2 door or 5 door? hope you can find a shell soon so you can start the conversion.

Users Country Flag
    PM sent mate

Users Country Flag
    Damn man that's a shame. I'm sure with the donor car with you now, you can only count down the days until you find a shell to play with!

Jeez that really suck's, just when your project was taking off too!

I know exactly what your going through matey & I found the hardest thing was "what am I going to do now" after I've put all that effort in.

I found that taking a step back for awhile helped me out a fair bit.

Hang in there is really all I can say. Something will present itself soon enough.

Have you thought of a mk1?? There's one going cheap in the for sale section.

hey just lucky you didnt stack it 3 days after you put the engine in... 3 days before its preferable!
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    hey just lucky you didnt stack it 3 days after you put the engine in... 3 days before its preferable!
    Ha! yea.

I am pissed off, but I gotta be responsible for my actions and these things happen. I've gone over it so many times in my head, but I did everything I could to slow the car without panicking. The dead end just came up so fast there was nothing I could've done to save it. I know something will come along. My best mate in Melb has a brother selling a mint mk1 3 door. Its bright orange!
    Just dont go belting around unfamiliar roads in the dark is my advice!
    Thanks for your sympathy guys.
    Wade

Quote Originally Posted by joshyd-mk2gti View Post
    man that sucks. you don't seem too pissed off, i sure would be. was it a 2 door or 5 door? hope you can find a shell soon so you can start the conversion.
    Was a fiver. Will see what i can find.

Wade, try ringing H Arnoldi, in West Perth, I remember a while back Pete was looking at selling his Mk 2 GTi. if he has done so or not, I dont know....

May take a few calls to get thru ..think he isnt there all the time these days.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Well guys, it was written off for sure this morning
    The Shannons guy was great and said i should get around $4000 payout and keep the wreck.
    He said it is repairable but would be expensive. I think I might strip it for parts and use them to build a 20vt GTI replica using another mk2 shell. Someone might want the GTI shell to repair later as its prolly bent about 12-15mm upwards at the front roofline.
    Either that, or i buy the orange mk1 i've been spying from a mate in melbourne and keep the GTI for a later stage and rebuild that myself.
    Or... maybe buy that mk1 and put the 1.8T in that, and sell off the mk2 stuff???
    Who's got some advice?
    Wade

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast