Support VWWC

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Wreck, another Race Car.....

TassieGTi Guest

32 years is a long time to collect moisture and the 76s weren't sealed very well but hey a mig welder is a great investment.Use plenty of POR 15 and it will never rust again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    \I'll weld in a new floor section I think. I'll need a mig welder for the seam welding anyway....

Pete
    Much easier to use a TIG or oxy and fuse the 2 panels together. You don't even have to use filler rod and its very neat.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    Much easier to use a TIG or oxy and fuse the 2 panels together. You don't even have to use filler rod and its very neat.
    Hmmmmm, I can do that! That's how I did the shock towers in the white car.

I think I was just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy.

1" welds 1.5" apart is the go IIRC.

Pete

heh - we fuse all day long at work - and it never occurred to me to do it on the shock towers either. thanks preeny.

still, a mig is handy for other stuff.

FYI pete - i just bought a 200amp ebay one (might pick it up today) and will let you know how it goes once i get a chance to use it (next week).

car looks promising - love that blue - such a happy colour!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

looks like a good starting point. might be a good start for class racing due to light doors and pre emissions!

looking forward to some more of your vw magic..
    TDI mk1 on the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    heh - we fuse all day long at work - and it never occurred to me to do it on the shock towers either. thanks preeny.

still, a mig is handy for other stuff.

FYI pete - i just bought a 200amp ebay one (might pick it up today) and will let you know how it goes once i get a chance to use it (next week).

car looks promising - love that blue - such a happy colour!
    Also a good idea to stitch weld the centre floor brace too. These are all things i am yet to do, though! haha.

By all means buy a MIG, Pete, they're bloody fantastic machines and make everything so much easier and faster. Aydan- Tell me how the Ebay special goes! If they're good, i'm gonna snap one up too.

Yeah I'm kinda curious about those $200 jobs too.
    I've got a BOC account so gas isn't an issue, I'd prefer to run gas sheilded.Never really heard any raves about running gasless. Isn't that just a small gauge arc welder then?

I set up 15amp sockets in my garage for the compressor and arc welder so I'm good to go power wise.

There seems to be a big jump in price on the MIGs. Crap for $100 , awesome for $1000 and stuff all in between. It'll be interesting to see how the $200 ebay units work out.

Pete

I've got a BOC account so gas isn't an issue, I'd prefer to run gas sheilded.Never really heard any raves about running gasless. Isn't that just a small gauge arc welder then?

I set up 15amp sockets in my garage for the compressor and arc welder so I'm good to go power wise.

There seems to be a big jump in price on the MIGs. Crap for $100 , awesome for $1000 and stuff all in between. It'll be interesting to see how the $200 ebay units work out.

Pete
    I was thinking of buying a 350 amp 3 phase (We have 3 phase at the workshop.. ) MIG with a detachable (4 wheel drive) wire feeder.. But i just couldn't bring myself to find a way of justifying it...

You're right.. There's really no good mid range stuff. If you want to spend upwards of $1000, you're better off spending a bit more and getting a really good machine with a copper transformer and really good electrical control.

Gasless is crap. Throws mega spatter too.
    Last edited by Preen59; 25-11-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    I was thinking of buying a 350 amp 3 phase (We have 3 phase at the workshop.. ) MIG with a detachable (4 wheel drive) wire feeder.. But i just couldn't bring myself to find a way of justifying it...

You're right.. There's really no good mid range stuff. If you want to spend upwards of $1000, you're better off spending a bit more and getting a really good machine with a copper transformer and really good electrical control.

Gasless is crap. Throws mega spatter too.
    Yeah, mate of mine has a $15,000 3 phase TIG welder he does cylinder heads with. Damm cool, if you turn it right up you can blow a falcon straight 6 head clean in half I used to repair his antique TIG before he got the new one. The old one was an old commweld piewarmer with a mechanical vibrator and stand alone water cooling for the torch. Loads of laughs!

I'd like a TransMig but I can't justify the price.

Pete

Pete
    they ebay one i got runs gas or gasless - i was never going to be sold on gasless only - haha. its only 15% duty cycle at 185A (we'll see) but since most of the time i'll be using it at sub 100A. hopefully pick it up from work this arvo. (thats right, i'm not at work - uni, hehe)

the one i got has a 12 month warranty and satisfaction/money back guarantee, from a store with good history, so i think i'm pretty safe.... the model i bought have been going for around 4-500 bucks, i managed to get it for $360 + $50 p+h.

anyway - sorry, this is way off topic - but i will definately do a good write up for you guys when i use it.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast