Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '76 MK1 1.8T AGU Conversion

Users Country Flag

'76 MK1 1.8T AGU Conversion

There's a couple guys on here that know about it but anyway here it is...

Soon this will be out...

and replaced with this

It will be running Qpeng management with K04-001 turbo bolted to Golfloon's infamous TDI gearbox. So far i got most of the parts needed except the turbo,engine management and 8v clutch.

The turbo should arrive in the next couple of days. Spoke with Ben from Qpeng and he's picking the engine harness up tomorrow so will probably take a week or so to modify it and send everything back and the clutch i'll have to order from GAP.

I'm happy to hear from guys that have done this conversion and the problems they encountered.

So watch this space...

Leigh
    Last edited by dubsquad; 14-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    '
    '81 MK1 Golf GTI

'15 VW Golf R Wolfie

Nice dude.

Looks like you've got a clean, straight & rust free base to work with too.

Look forward to updates.

If your getting a clutch, I'd suggest getting an upgraded one over a stock replacement 100%.

Also. the only difficulty will be the AGU engine mount & gearbox mounts, but if you good at welding/fabricating, you'll have no drama's.

I suggest using a mk1 diesel engine mount as a bases for your custom engine side mount as these are a much larger & stiffer rubber mount than the normal stock petrol version.

Would only recommend genuine VW mounts too. I've tried all sorts of different brand mounts & most of them sag within a few weeks.

Another tip when using a AGU. You'll need to remove the Hydro cambelt tensioner & replace it with a 16V manual tensioner & a standard 16V stud & you'll also need a spacer fitted behind the tensioner to space out & keep the cambelt alignment spot on. Use a stock AGU cambelt.

If your not sure about my info, I actually mounted an AGU 20vt into my gti in 2000/01, but ran out of funds to finish it off, as I built a tough V8 ute instead. hahaha. Still don't regret either.

My only other suggestion would to be trawl through "vortex" or "clubgti" about the ins/outs, whats/wheres of this conversion. There is some very nice installs out there!!!

Other than that. Good luck with it all.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks mate, i know i need all the luck i can get. I've already got the driver's side engine mount with heavy duty bush from a dude in the UK that makes them but will change all the bushes to prothane ones soon.

You need a 8-10mm spacer for the timing belt to align with the rest of the pulleys and 16v tensioner.

Clutch wise i'll go for the heavy duty sachs clutch as other aftermarket ones arent really for daily driving.

I've probably been through all the built threads on Vortex,the mk1 owners club and on here. Will scroll through "clubgti" tonight.

Thanks
    '
    '81 MK1 Golf GTI

'15 VW Golf R Wolfie

Users Country Flag
    nice mate!

I'll be watching this with great interest
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfMan View Post
    nice mate!

I'll be watching this with great interest
    Diddo!

So much awesomeness...

I'm really keen to learn more about these conversions.

Kudos and best of luck!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dubsquad View Post
    There's a couple guys on here that know about it but anyway here it is...

It will be running Qpeng management with K04-001 turbo bolted to Golfloon's infamous TDI gearbox. So far i got most of the parts needed except the turbo,engine management and 8v clutch.

The turbo should arrive in the next couple of days. Spoke with Ben from Qpeng and he's picking the engine harness up tomorrow so will probably take a week or so to modify it and send everything back and the clutch i'll have to order from GAP.

I'm happy to hear from guys that have done this conversion and the problems they encountered.

So watch this space...

Leigh
    Run a factory ecu with something like Eurodyne Maestro map, better than any aftermarket ecu.
    We run a 1.8T with a GT3071 turbo, 630cc injectors and all on factory computer, IMMO removed.
    Runs as smooth as silk, retains all VAG-COM diagnostics and we are able to self adjust the tune if required.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by vert1 View Post
    Run a factory ecu with something like Eurodyne Maestro map, better than any aftermarket ecu.
    We run a 1.8T with a GT3071 turbo, 630cc injectors and all on factory computer, IMMO removed.
    Runs as smooth as silk, retains all VAG-COM diagnostics and we are able to self adjust the tune if required.
    Reason i going with the Qpeng management is for a straight forward installation, only the necessary wiring in the engine bay, its fully programmable and if i have any problems i can just give Ben a call or someone else on here thats using it. I wouldnt know where start when looking at factory ECU and all its wiring. I'm buying the full setup with K04 map and CAN interface for self tuning as well. My plan is to learn the software before i go bigger.
    '
    '81 MK1 Golf GTI

'15 VW Golf R Wolfie

info...

Prolly one of the most informative web pages around for info is kirsten's 1.8T into a Mk 1 Scirocco site

All Things Scirocco and Turn Signals for the Mk 1

and Andy's scirocco builds...

VWvortex Forums: The official 20v (to start with and then FSi with 4wd) build thread aka "Brits Gone Wild!!"

and the other car...

VWvortex Forums: The polov8 3 day 1.8t mega-swap (aka skinned knuckle fest )

Scirocco is identical to the MK 1 golf except the rocco has a slightly lower hood line.
    Both of these guy's are major attention to detail maniacs, but very thorough in there builds, plus there both friends of mine.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Quote Originally Posted by vert1 View Post
    Any links on who did the immobiliser defeat bud ??
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

With your clutch, we run a lightened t4 4cyl flywheel and t4 5cyl clutch kit.This will be compatable with a dsl gearbox and the price is kept low.Been running this set up in the caddy since 03 with no problems.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast