Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 20v 1781cc Turbo engine into Mk1 Golf

Come up with a number,double it,add 32 and multiply by the number on your number plate and you should get close.Nobody can give a firm quote on a job like that.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Sunshine Coast....Moved up in jan 06 from Tas
    Quote Originally Posted by TassieGTi View Post
    Not sure you would want to know If you want to do it justice, it will cost far more than you could ever imagine
    i was thinking around 20k-25k??? only need a guesstimate.. haha i know its **** loads but dont we all love our mk1s too much, ive already spent 6k on my car and you cant see it much.lol

Users Country Flag
    You can't put a figure on any conversion, because it depends so much on who does it and what parts they use - or don't use (!).

It's not so much the motor anyway, but building the car to suit it: the brake and chassis upgrades etc, which need to be pretty damn good. TassieGTI's car hauls ass and stops and handles to match, which is the only way to do it properly

1976 Project Carbon Mk1 - Sold! | 2015 Lotus Exige Cup | F80 M3 Family Wheels

Sunshine Coast....Moved up in jan 06 from Tas
    i guess its not about the money, building a car is about the experience and the hard work you put in yourself,which makes it all worth it at the end. i know when i wanna do an engine swap that ill "try" and do most of it myself, saving money and gaining experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TassieGTi View Post
    Not sure you would want to know If you want to do it justice, it will cost far more than you could ever imagine
    I'll agree with this 100%.

I've accumulated the wrong side of $9.5k on the engine & components so far (That incl .'s buying the engine too). I still haven't got my pistons, rods & cams yet.

From what I was taught along time ago & from experience, you start with a budget & work out as much as possible before you take any tools to the car. Then times it by two.

I reckon I should have mine finished for $<30k incl. buying the car which isn't too bad I reckon. That's basically building a brand new car with brand new everything, from 4 wheel disc brakes & braided lines, coilovers & suspension components, fuel system, computer the lot.

But I might also have a change in direction half way through too, which I'm at the crossroads at the moment & use the running gear for something alittle out of left field. Just got to run it past my engineeer first.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234