Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1976 Mk1 Scirocco Build

1976 Mk1 Scirocco Build

So as some of you may know i recently purchased one mk1 Scirocco from one great VW enthusiast John Frizza. John has put a lot of work into this car and you can tell right from the get go he doesnt muck around when it comes to getting it right hes 100% spot on. The car is one of 6 original imports by Volkswagen into Australia, it even has the original log books with previous owners names and service record up until 110,00kms. It currently has 166,000 kms with only 30,000 on the engine. And boy does it drive good, not a single rattle or squeak in the cabin feels as if it just rolled off the production line.

The plan is to retain much of johns handy work being the engine transplant, interior (which i cant get enough of), Gearbox with Quaife diff, the list goes on...

I am going to list the mods below as per John's sale thread as there is simply way too much.

The plan is to have this girl as an all rounder; for track days here and there and also finished nicely for shows and weekend driving. I probably wont be going for the so-cal look that john has initiated. I rather chrome window trim but i may retain the black bumbers. Obviously coilovers will be arranged shortly along with a set of off-set-conscious wheels nothing ridiculous just nice and flush something like 15x7 et 20-25. A repsray is at the front of my mind too but first i want to have the car fitted with all trim etc, i would like to have it complete knowing its going to come out of the booth looking 110%.

VAG 2.0 litre, longmotor imported new from USA. Only done about 30,000km. Hydraulic valve lifters and match-ported cylinder head and manifolds. Large throttle-body match-ported to inlet plenum.
    Air-oil cooler (ex VW Type 4) plus water-oil cooler (ex watercooled Kombi).

Large Radiator (Golf 2 size)

2-into-1 exhaust downpipe (ex Golf GTI) and Powersound (German) resonator and muffler.

Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection using all original parts. Golf Diesel/GTI fuel tank

Knock-sensor, electronic ignition, electronic-advance distributor and ignition control unit.

Golf GTI 5-speed close-ratio gearbox with Quaife differential fitted. Large 210mm clutch.

GTI antiroll/ sway bars front and rear

Bilstein gas shocks and springs (original kit made for GTI/Scirocco) all round.

GTI Front disc brakes, matching brake proportioning valves. Rear disc brakes, ATE 20.6 (?)mm brake master cylinder, silicone brake-fluid, larger vacuum diaphragm (ex Golf Cabrio).

BBS 14” RA alloy wheels

Nolathane (polyurethane) front and side engine mounts.

Quartz halogen low/high beams and driving lights

Scheel sports seats in black-ribbed Perlon material, with rear seat in matching trim. VDO back bezel instruments: voltmeter, oil temperature (150deg.C), oil pressure and clock.

As-new dash (no cracks!) with professionally-made cover.

Electric power windows (SPAL brand)

Photos to come tonight...

76 Scirocco

Users Country Flag
    That car has a lotta nice goodies on it. Look forward to seeing the progress.

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    Good stuff Dom, really looking forward to progress Glad someone on here got it
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Users Country Flag
    it was a good deal
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Wish I could have bought it! Really does seem like a very impressive car!

Good luck, looking forward to updates.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

As promised...

76 Scirocco

76 Scirocco

Users Country Flag
    Nice find Dom, I can't wait to see what you do with this project. Did you end up selling the MK1 Cabriolet?

Subscribed

Users Country Flag
    Quality bro, but I'm a little worried what the boys are gonna think next cruise down Oxford st when they can't let the top down ????

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    I would have gotten wood from the picture message you sent me.. But I was sniffing Nitro, so i already had it. Hahaha.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alex g View Post
    Quality bro, but I'm a little worried what the boys are gonna think next cruise down Oxford st when they can't let the top down ????
    It's more manly than the hairdresser car. It's very straight Dom.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast