Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pads For Track Work

Pads For Track Work

What sort of pads do you guys use for track days?

I'm tracking the R for the first time in a few weeks. I've done a heap of track days previously (in a skyline), and I know how annoying it is getting fade after a few hot laps.. Having to do cool-down laps mid session is a pain.

I'm running stock brakes with R-comps and a fair bit more power than stock, so I want to mitigate the inevitable! The stock brakes are going to be the weakest link.

Any suggestions?

May be worth a private message to Ben (forum name Machine) and Nat (Nat225). They both run the Golf R a lot on the track and can certainly recommend some pad options. Ben and Nat are more frequent on the other VW forum, golf.net or whatever it is. May be worth finding their threads over there. Also worth a read on Alan (grandturismo) on his mk6 GTI.

I've driven at both SMSP and Wakefield and don't think the braking zones on those tracks are quite as hard as the Queensland circuits so with the feedback from Ben and Nat, you may not need such an aggressive pad compound that we use. Plus if running a street tyre Vs semi-slick won't need quite an aggressive pad as the tyre won't tolerate the additional braking power. Nat runs the stock calipers, Ben did but now runs AP Racing, Alan is AP Racing now, but has had a good variety of brake combinations.

I run QFM A1RM's and been very happy. For the most part, I'd say they are suitable for the Golf, though the golf is heavier than the polo.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    The QFM A1RM are a great option, cheap (~$120 for fronts), will never fade, great feel
    I did a 45 minute enduro race in a Pulsar using these pads - they were great

They don't last as long as (low friction) street pads and there is a fair amount of dust
    Going to anything significantly better is going to cost $250~$350
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

You get what you pay for?? $120 pads will never cut it.
    Try Project MU.

Given I'll be running semi slicks, I'll definitely need to get rid of the stock pads. I've resigned to that fact now!

Sean / Martin - I've actually used RB74's before (in my previous car), which is exactly the same as QFM A1RM. They were pretty decent actually. I remember them being the best value to performance ratio back then. I used them on the road as well as the track, they required a bit of heat before grabbing on a cold morning from memory. What I remember clearly though was that the squealing was horrendous. I guess that's what you get with any track pad though.

Stanton - Project MU are definitely a premium pad hey? Great quality from what I've heard, but as you say - you get what you pay for. I've not been able to find any stockists in Australia, but based on the Japanese pricing I've found they look like they're around $600 for a full set. You'd want them to last twice as long for that money!

I'll drop Ben and Nat a message Sean - thanks!

Cheers for the info fellas!
    Last edited by Primordial; 02-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.

I've also ran Ferodo DS2500's on a previous car. Alan (grandturismo) ran the DSUNO's on stock calipers with aftermarket rotors and had a very good experience even in comparison to running big brake kits. Depending on the frequency of track work, run a track only aggressive front pad and rotor and swap back and forth for street and track. That's swapping pad and rotor.

Ferodo Racing Official Website - Racing Brake Pads
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    I absolutely love the DS2500 pad - one of my favorites for sure
    I ran them on Skoda Octavia for 20k and a number of track days
    Totally awesome braking - lot's of dust for daily work
    They did eat away at the rotor faster than stock pads (not a complaint, worth it for the braking performance)

The $120 QFM A1RM do cut it - marvelous feel and braking - never over heat
    I don't have any squealing from them at all - running against DBA T2 rotors

ProjectMu - I feel like we are paying a premium for the brand name
    Anyway - you buy them direct from Project-mu AU, it's $400 for HC800+ fronts on the Mk7R!
    Project Mu Brakes - BRAKE PAD - HC800

I paid $269 for HC800+ fronts for the Pulsar
    - They do have more absolute bite than QFM A1RM
    - They have less feel which displeased me
    - They should last longer than QF A1RM
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    I'm running the DS2500 pads in my GTI. They work well and still have the OEM feel on the road. The pads give the standard rotors a hammering on the track.

I've also had good feed back from a few friends on the project Mu.

Users Country Flag
    I have been using stoptech street performance pads which are so cheap but have MOT of 1,200 degrees F, combined with DBA T3 fronts and T2 rears.

have used stock pads and discs for track with AD08R and the pads just left so much residue on the discs.

then switched to qfm a1rm with stock discs but after repeated hard stops (from 180kmh) the discs decided to go soft and gave vibration (DTV). no fade though despite the stock discs being too soft for performance use.

the stoptech pads and dba discs have not given any issues apart from my desire to go faster and braking later

so, the next pads coming in 2 weeks are Forza FP3 from brakes direct. I will give these a try with qfm a1rm rears and see how they go

the golf 6 r is 1500kg plus driver, so it is a heavy car for track. the 7 r should be lighter by 100kg?

my other car I have been running on fully stock pads and discs with just high rated fluid on hankook z222 and have not had any brake fade yet within 5 hot laps, but the car weighs just 1275kg.

with R tyres, you definitely need good brakes otherwise braking will become your weakest link
    Last edited by nat225; 03-05-2016 at 01:53 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Thanks for the info nat!

Those stoptech pads sound brilliant. After a quick look around it doesn't look like there's any local stockists. You order them from the US I'm guessing?

The Forza FP3's sound promising too.. After checking BrakesDirect, it doesnt look like they produce those for the MK7 yet. I guess that's going to have a big bearing on what I end up with - whether they're made for the MK7 at all.

Yeah I think the MK7 DSG is around 1435kg (manufacturer rating), but you're right it is a heavy track car - brakes will be getting a workout!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast