Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pads For Track Work

Quote Originally Posted by Dam355 View Post
    I'm running the DS2500 pads in my GTI. They work well and still have the OEM feel on the road. The pads give the standard rotors a hammering on the track.

I've also had good feed back from a few friends on the project Mu.
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the DS2500 or stoptech street performance at this stage. I've heard good things about the DS2500 from numerous people.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I absolutely love the DS2500 pad - one of my favorites for sure
    I ran them on Skoda Octavia for 20k and a number of track days
    Totally awesome braking - lot's of dust for daily work
    They did eat away at the rotor faster than stock pads (not a complaint, worth it for the braking performance)

The $120 QFM A1RM do cut it - marvelous feel and braking - never over heat
    I don't have any squealing from them at all - running against DBA T2 rotors

ProjectMu - I feel like we are paying a premium for the brand name
    Anyway - you buy them direct from Project-mu AU, it's $400 for HC800+ fronts on the Mk7R!
    Project Mu Brakes - BRAKE PAD - HC800

I paid $269 for HC800+ fronts for the Pulsar
    - They do have more absolute bite than QFM A1RM
    - They have less feel which displeased me
    - They should last longer than QF A1RM
    Ouch - $400 for a pair of the HC800+ is over the budget for what I want to spend I think.

How would you compare the A1RM vs DS2500? Any difference in performance or longevity? Considering the A1RM's are (less than?) half the cost, that's a big difference!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Primordial View Post
    Ouch - $400 for a pair of the HC800+ is over the budget for what I want to spend I think.
    It's easy to spend money on brakes...but I do think those pads are very over priced
    And given nat225's comments about the stock rotor being soft, you would ideally replace the rotors to get the best solution

How would you compare the A1RM vs DS2500? Any difference in performance or longevity? Considering the A1RM's are (less than?) half the cost, that's a big difference!
    The QFM A1RM don't last very long - they will wear out somewhat quicker than most other options
    These pads give great feel and good braking (won't overheat)
    They are great/cheap way of avoiding brake fade at a track day
    They do have somewhat more stopping ability than stock pads

The DS2500 also don't last a long time - but longer than the QFM A1RM
    They will however attack your rotor noticeably more than stock pads (during heavy braking)
    Again take nat225's comments about the stock rotor being soft into account
    These pads really are wonderful from a performance perspective, great feel and braking (won't overheat)
    If you've got the tyres and skills and commitment, these pads will give superior stopping ability

Both of these pads are a less effective on cold mornings,
    within 5 minutes they will have some temperature and feel fine
    It's just something to bear in mind from a safety perspective

Both are pretty dusty, more so the DS2500 which gives heaps of thick black dust all the time

The other thing to consider is your car's brake assist setting - it can freak people out
    I have a BBK on my Skoda Octavia, the increased braking made the car think there was an emergency,
    brake assist kicked in and worked the pedal/braking, heavy braking with very light pedal pressure, it's a weird feeling
    I used VCDS to turn brake assist down to the lowest assistance setting
    Last edited by Martin; 03-05-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the info nat!

Those stoptech pads sound brilliant. After a quick look around it doesn't look like there's any local stockists. You order them from the US I'm guessing?

The Forza FP3's sound promising too.. After checking BrakesDirect, it doesnt look like they produce those for the MK7 yet. I guess that's going to have a big bearing on what I end up with - whether they're made for the MK7 at all.

Yeah I think the MK7 DSG is around 1435kg (manufacturer rating), but you're right it is a heavy track car - brakes will be getting a workout!
    i bought my stoptech pads from amazon usa.

good prices and very reasonable shipping too
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Hawk DTC60, maybe even DTC30's, will actually do what you want for a reasonable price ex-US. Chances are you will never be braking hard enough to get anywhere near their limits
    in all likelihood you will be best by running a $5 bit of hose to cool a set of low cost performance pads, as mentioned above but if you want genuinely good pads you will be looking for Performance Friction or Carbone Lorraine, though from the comments I doubt you are actually looking for that

Users Country Flag
    I can vouch for Nat, Sean, Al and Ben. They are a wealth of knowledge and I so value the opinion of someone in the know and experience. The guys at Brakes direct are fantastic and will also point you in the right direction. I went the DBA T3 front / T2 rear option and Remsa pads with race brake fluid all from Brakes Direct for my Mk6 R. This weekend I am doing doing street sprints at Lakeside so will be keen to see how it all performs.
    Last edited by prh1973; 04-05-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Users Country Flag
    i also use QFM A1RMs on my Octavia. Great bite, and i also got no fade on the track. they seem to be eating my rotors slowly. personally, i dont care how long the pad lasts as long as they stop quickly and consistently. they are piss easy to change.

was thinking of trying the HC800 but after Martin's feedback i think i will stick to the A1RMs

ill check what brand the race car uses and get back to you. but i have a feeling they start at 250 degrees so probably not so good for street driving

I cant wait to have my DBA T3 4000 fronts & T2 rears fitted, along with Forza FP3 pads and Brakes Direct stainless lines. I'll be heading down to Wakefield in June and I'm keen to experience what everyone's been talking about for so long.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead92 View Post
    I cant wait to have my DBA T3 4000 fronts & T2 rears fitted, along with Forza FP3 pads and Brakes Direct stainless lines. I'll be heading down to Wakefield in June and I'm keen to experience what everyone's been talking about for so long.
    any updates on how you went with your FORZA FP3 ? some feedback from track and street use would be great !

Users Country Flag

Updates to this thread on the forzas?

I have A1rm on my MK4, I have never experienced fade, but maybe it's just that the MK4 stock calipers don't apply enough pressure! I can press on the brakes fairly hard before anything urgent happens.

I drove my friends mk7.5 GTI with twin piston calipers and my word they are absolutely insane.

Makes my brakes feel like I'm stopping with pieces of wood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12