Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigger73's Scirocco R

Users Country Flag

I had a similar thought a few years ago. I had always wanted a nice V8 but didnt want a "bogany" typical XR8, SS or 300C american junk. I also didn't want a common car that you see every day. So i was looking at the S4, RS4, C63, BMW M3 and slightly left field was the Lexus IS-F. After spending months going through common issues, reliability, maintenance etc information i went with a 1 owner, 42,000km 5yr old Lexus IS-F for $55k.

My heart told me C63 but my brain said IS-F. Too many very expensive mechanical issues with the German cars that steered me away from them - silly things that should not be an issue on modern cars. Timing chains (which requires full engine removal) and carbon buildup on the Audi V8, head studs breaking and piston issues with the C63, and rod bearings and inlet manifold failures on the M3. Aint nobody got time and money for that crap on a near new car.

2 years on with the IS-F and i love it. Goes like stink, sounds awesome, nobody knows what it is because only 1100 of them were sold in Aust, unbelieveably reliable, looks great IMO with the pumped out guards and bonnet, cheap servicing (parts are cheap). Interior is dated for a 2011 car (looks like mid 2000's) but it's comfy, everything works etc so im happy. Fuel consumption is laughable (16-18L around town, but around 9-10L on the highway) but i only do about 100-150km per week so no biggie.

The only real negative with the IS-F is that if you want to modify it, there are not many options and basically everything is very expensive and comes from Japan or America. They only sold around 14,000 IS-F's worldwide so that means that not many companies have made aftermarket parts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    I've been having heretical thoughts of selling mine lately too. Contenders include Porsche Cayman S 987 manual, Audi RS5 V8, Audi TT-RS (so something fast, sexy, less than 10 years old, German, fun, and around the $50k mark), or, totally different, one of the last L320 Range Rover Sports (2012/2013).
    I don't do that many kms anymore so I don't need the piece of mind of a new car warranty and all that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Easy one for me, and one I am going to think about down the track - Audi RS5.

Still looks oh so right today, and some reasonable examples are heading towards the $50k mark.. although if I hadn't just let my wheels go from the RS3, I might have had a sniff on yours when you let it go.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-04-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I had a similar thought a few years ago. I had always wanted a nice V8 but didnt want a "bogany" typical XR8, SS or 300C american junk. I also didn't want a common car that you see every day. So i was looking at the S4, RS4, C63, BMW M3 and slightly left field was the Lexus IS-F. After spending months going through common issues, reliability, maintenance etc information i went with a 1 owner, 42,000km 5yr old Lexus IS-F for $55k.
    I have looked multiple times at such an option but have ended up in different directions each time; but totally hear you and I agree with your sentiments.

As you say the economy is irrelevant as it would be a play thing only, and I must admit the RS5 expenses do worry me, particularly as I would have zero input into its mechanics (my interest and knowledge on cars extends to looking at, and driving them only).

In reality it is probably why I will end up with something more familiar like a GTI/Roc on the cheap. Ideally I had tigger's Roc lined up down the track but he sold it out from me. I've already asked the bloke I've sold my latest OZs to, to give me a tap when he is ready to offload his RS3 just in case I decide to go back there.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    It's hard to deny the temptation of picking up a 5-10 year old $150,000+ luxury performance car for under a third of its original value. The maintenance and insurance costs are an issue, but I guess I can afford it. No kids, plenty of disposable income, live within Lime scooter distance from my office if the car breaks.

Now that I don't commute far or drive long distances, I also am kinda getting annoyed with all the driver aids and automation in cars coming out today. The idea of something with a clutch pedal and a gear stick, that doesn't beep at me all the time, has some attraction.

Lots of options...
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    It's hard to deny the temptation of picking up a 5-10 year old $150,000+ luxury performance car for under a third of its original value. The maintenance and insurance costs are an issue, but I guess I can afford it. No kids, plenty of disposable income, live within Lime scooter distance from my office if the car breaks.

Now that I don't commute far or drive long distances, I also am kinda getting annoyed with all the driver aids and automation in cars coming out today. The idea of something with a clutch pedal and a gear stick, that doesn't beep at me all the time, has some attraction.

Lots of options...
    Give me a nudge on your Roc if and when, just in case.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

In reality it is probably why I will end up with something more familiar like a GTI/Roc on the cheap. Ideally I had tigger's Roc lined up down the track but he sold it out from me.
    Well that was news to me! If I'd known that I may have convinced the wife to hang onto it a bit longer. But we all know these things are all about timing and sometimes it's hard to get it all lined up. Windows for changing cars can come down to days literally so likelihood for us to be in the market for cars at the same time is slim.

I've already asked the bloke I've sold my latest OZs to, to give me a tap when he is ready to offload his RS3 just in case I decide to go back there.
    So they went to another RS3 owner - probably with the width/offset would have been the best choice.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Well that was news to me! If I'd known that I may have convinced the wife to hang onto it a bit longer. But we all know these things are all about timing and sometimes it's hard to get it all lined up. Windows for changing cars can come down to days literally so likelihood for us to be in the market for cars at the same time is slim.
    You are spot on - realistically there is some work to do before that plan comes to fruition.

But yes, as much as I'd want to grab a German V8, all of those issues Lucas mentions frighten me as just being expensive nuisances. I contrast it with spending a decent sum less on the GTI/R/Roc or even another old S3 example, with left over cash to then splash on a few mods.

I'm attracted to getting something a little rarer, so 3 door GTIs or the Roc appeal from that perspective.

Although the very sensible option is to do nothing, save some coin, and convince Mrs Dutch that when the SQ5 is due for a change we look at 2-3 year old RS4s.

So they went to another RS3 owner - probably with the width/offset would have been the best choice.
    Yep, delivering the wheels to the depot on Friday. Ara Blue sedan with black pack, so I think it will look schmick as.

Users Country Flag
    when the SQ5 is due for a change
    Might be able to come to some mutual agreement then, as my mrs wants an SQ5... 🤔
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Might be able to come to some mutual agreement then, as my mrs wants an SQ5... ��
    Is that a car swap or a wife swap???

Users Country Flag
    LOL.

Now that Mrs Dutch has the keys to the "good car" and I actually have no keys at all the chances of me prying them away will be limited.

My VAG toys appear to be down to a 7 40 years or 7.5 PE1 (if I spend more), the Roc for something a little unique, or reprising my life with the R/S3 scene in ~2015 era rides. Noting of course, my needs in a toy are not outright driving - otherwise the list would look more like Tobes'.

I think you'll find that the Golf options although quite competent are a little less inspiring.

The Scirocco is certainly more of an "event" to drive and a lot more special than a run of the mill Golf. It is also a bit more dated in terms of tech... but you can't have everything I suppose.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast