Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it

Heads up to anyone keen, the item listed on eBay is currently reduced to $180ish from the $249 price (not including shipping).

Good timing I received a 10% off voucher from eBay so jumped on one!

Thanks again OP for sharing this with us =D

Cheers,

Andy

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by AnDyStYLe View Post
    ^
    Thanks for spending the time providing the info... Very helpful!
    Cheers,

Andy
    NO problem
    The information on this forum has been invaluable to me so it nice to be able to return the favour
    Karma so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by IainBest View Post
    I rang around the wreckers here in Hobart and picked up an unused spare and associated kit from a Mk 5 Golf for $140 - exactly the same as pictured above. Cheap peace of mind!
    Well done
    Like the last 4 or so cars we've had you will probably never use it
    But I guess that is what insurance is about

Quote Originally Posted by AnDyStYLe View Post
    Heads up to anyone keen, the item listed on eBay is currently reduced to $180ish from the $249 price (not including shipping).

Good timing I received a 10% off voucher from eBay so jumped on one!

Thanks again OP for sharing this with us =D

Cheers,

Andy
    Well Done too
    All in the timing - good one on the Ebay discount
    as I mentioned earlier I got an Ebay 10% discount as well, only problem was next day when i went to use it it wasn't there
    anyway - it's nice knowing the spare wheel is there but still hope never to use it

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Space Saver Service Life

Got to thinking - since we are getting "old" spares ..... wonder what their service life is

found this here ...... https://www.beaurepaires.com.au/advi...ing-tyres-blog

"Temporary spare use tyres do have some limitations.
    First and foremost, they have a shorter life expectancy and can only travel an approximate distance of 450km maximum before needing to be changed"

So that is distance - now time

from here Aged Tyres - Bridgestone Australia

Tyre Ageing Mechanism
    There are three main mechanisms of tyre ageing. The first involves rubber becoming more brittle. Sulphur is used to link rubber molecules together during vulcanisation with the application of heat and pressure, giving the rubber its useful elastic properties and strength. As the tyre absorbs energy in the form of light, heat or movement the tyre continues to vulcanise. This ongoing vulcanisation causes the rubber to become stiffer and more brittle.
    The second mechanism of tyre ageing is oxidation involving oxygen and ozone from the air compromising the strength and elasticity of the rubber and the integrity of the rubber to steel bond. Basically heat and oxygen cause cross linking between polymer chains (causing the rubber to harden) and scission of polymer chains (leading to reduced elasticity).
    Thirdly, breakdown of the rubber to steel-belt bond will occur due to water permeating through a tyre and bonding with the brass plate coating on steel belts. This causes the steel to rubber bond to weaken leading to reduced tyre strength and reduced heat resistance. If compressed air used for inflation is not completely dry, tyre strength will be affected over time. Even unused tyres will become more brittle, weaker and less elastic with exposure to water, air, heat and sunlight.
    [my comment] Our spares do not see sunlight or water with minimal heat compared to road use and no mechanical stress.

Warning signs
    Regardless of their age tyres should be replaced if they show significant crazing or cracking in the tread grooves or sidewall (Figure 3&4) and or bulging of the tread face or sidewall. All tyres, especially unused spare tyres, should be inspected periodically to determine their suitability for service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from here .... Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging — Part #1

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice, issued June, 2001, states, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

and this

More recently, the Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice, issued May, 2005, states, "Customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts - and disclaimer - this is offered as information, not advice and should anyone decide to use this information they do so with full responsibility for their own actions - hopefully that just saved the house....LOL

Since most of the aging factors are minimised for a spare spending its entire life covered in the boot
    as well as not seeing any road use would the 10 years replacement be totally relevant ??
    Would the comment of not putting tyres over 6 years of age into service refer to unfitted tyres not ones already on rims ??
    When used it will be (hopefully) only for short distance and at low speed so is the risk factor low ??

To me this is the relevant bit "unused spare tyres, should be inspected periodically to determine their suitability for service"

that's what I will do

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting regarding how they perform ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY
    Last edited by Blue103TDIDSG; 06-06-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Hi Guys,

I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck recently sourcing a spare like the one @Blue103TDIDSGpurchased.

I am looking for a similar spare kit for my 2016 Scirocco R, I believe a similar kit to the 2012 mk6 Golf should work in the slightly updated 2016 Scirocco R.

@Blue103TDIDSG any mention or link to the previous seller would be greatly appreciated..

Many thanks in advance
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12