Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it

Users Country Flag

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it

Hey guys (and gals).....
    What are your thoughts on no spare wheel or am I showing my age ??

Got a flat tyre couple weeks back ...... with those 35 profile tyres it doesn't look much different when flat -
    Lucky I noticed it before driving off
    Was a gal iron roofing screw straight through the tread, so I just left it in ....
    OK the compressor worked, just pumped it back up and drove home slowly - didn't use the goo.
    Stopped 1/2 way and checked pressure
    But it raised the thought ...... man I feel sort of "naked" without a spare tyre

Our other 2 cars have space saver "get you home" spares - that was a big enough hurdle to get over
    But just a compressor and bottle of goo ????

post from another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyratface View Post
    I've kept one of my original tyres and shove it in the boot for any longer drives that I might do
    That is a great idea .... cheap insurance,
    Unfortunately I don't have any "old ones" yet - working on it
    My worry is being out in the sticks and holing a tyre that the "goo" and compressor can't fix
    OK Roadside assist will take care of the car - like I really want to see it towed away ??
    The tow will get the car to the nearest tyre retailer
    Murphy the bitch will make sure that this happens on a weekend - no, make that a long weekend
    So the car is stored somewhere for a couple of days with no control over where that is
    Will have to get family member to come pick us up
    Then next working day arrange a new tyre, get fitted and return and get car

Hmmmm .... think I just talked myself into one of these
    Just under $200 delivered from Sydney - great mob to deal with too

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030002-jpg

It arrived yesterday and it is as new - has never been on the road
    A lot happier with it in the boot

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030007-jpg

Thought it might pay to do a trial fit - better to find out it doesn't now than out in the sticks somewhere
    The diameter is a tad smaller but I would only put it on the back - existing wheel bolts work OK

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030009-jpg

I did the trial fit on the front as I have more room in the garage to work
    and if it fits the front it will fit back - who knows, for some strange reason I might need to fit to front ??

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030011-jpg

Have asked the supplier what car it came out of but haven't had a reply yet
    [edit] off a 2012 mk6 Golf

Few more pics of the tyre

Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030004-jpgSpare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030006-jpg
    Spare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030005-jpgSpare Wheel or rather Lack of it-p1030003-1-jpg
    Last edited by Blue103TDIDSG; 13-04-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice result! i might check one out for myself
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyratface View Post
    Nice result! i might check one out for myself
    Got it here - add says 3 left
    VW Golf MK5 MK6 MK7 Scirocco Used 18 Inch Space Saver RIM With THE Tool KIT | eBay
    Was all packed and wrapped beautifully with cardboard both sides for protection
    They send it by post !!!!...

Postie had a devil of a job getting into the letterbox .....
    Last edited by Blue103TDIDSG; 14-04-2016 at 10:59 PM.

I actually almost had the same situation. Self tapping screw went into the rear left tyre. Was very fortunate enough that it didn't penetrate through. Count my lucky stars...

Would much rather a space saver in the boot!

How'd you get this for under $200?

They happen to increase the price to $249 now?

Also, is there any implications that the diameter is smaller? Is this common with space savers?

I've always had cars with space savers and used on many occasions, but never took notice

Cheers,

Andy
    MY14 Scirocco R, Candy White, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    the goo actually works better than you would think, I go a HUGE hole in a back tyre (dont know how) when I was about 300km from home.

the hole was big enough for me to put my little finger in and I thought no way will this fix with goo, I called a bunch of local tyre guys but as was just on 5pm friday no one answered, so last resort was the goo (then VW assist)

followed the instructions and sure enough it got me going, first servo I put more air in and checked it and from there home (@80kmh) no probs, next day off the local jax to get it fixed

bottom line, the goo actually works.........
    Scirocco R - DSG

Users Country Flag
    You should really only use spacesavers on the rear of a Front wheel drive car.
    Partly due to the size difference and the lighter construction of them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Hi Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AnDyStYLe View Post
    How'd you get this for under $200?
    They happen to increase the price to $249 now?
    Andy
    Long story, short version, I started looking at the Scirocco about 2 years ago
    About 12 months back when going for test drives and decision made, was then I realised there wasn't a spare
    So did a Google search and found this mob on Ebay - they were advertising them then for $250 + $30 delivery
    Checked every now and then and they seemed to be available most of the time
    Then when I got the flat tyre and decided to get one, by co-incidence, they had a "special" going of 33% off
    what made matters worse was I got a flag on Ebay for a code to get another 10 off
    but I didn't order straight away and next day when I went to the 10% flag had gone - bummer...

Suggest you contact them and ask for the "special" price like I got ........ perhaps direct them to this thread
    nothing to lose and maybe 33% discount to gain....

Quote Originally Posted by AnDyStYLe View Post
    Also, is there any implications that the diameter is smaller? Is this common with space savers?
    I've always had cars with space savers and used on many occasions, but never took notice
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You should really only use spacesavers on the rear of a Front wheel drive car.
    Partly due to the size difference and the lighter construction of them.
    As Hillbilly says with front wheel drive, space saver always on the back
    Although to my mind the different width and tread pattern would be more of a worry under braking and steering
    Even with a rear wheel drive car you would have to weigh up the worst of the "evils" between any difference in diameter versus the consequences of uneven braking and the effects on handling

Quote Originally Posted by BS_roc View Post
    the hole was big enough for me to put my little finger in
    WOW....
    Thanks BS_roc - nice to know it is that good
    I have left the compressor and "goo" in the car as another option just in case - what's the chance of 2 flat tyres ?...

Quote Originally Posted by BS_roc View Post
    followed the instructions and sure enough it got me going, first servo I put more air in and checked it and from there home (@80kmh) no probs, next day off the local jax to get it fixed

bottom line, the goo actually works.........
    Thought long and hard when I got the flat whether to use the goo or just re-inflate and try to get home
    I believe once you use the goo the tyre has to be removed from the rim and all the goo washed out before the tyre can be repaired

As it was the tyre was repaired without removing it from the car

^ Thanks for spending the time providing the info... Very helpful!

Cheers,

Andy
    MY14 Scirocco R, Candy White, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag

I rang around the wreckers here in Hobart and picked up an unused spare and associated kit from a Mk 5 Golf for $140 - exactly the same as pictured above. Cheap peace of mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast