Thread: Mixing engine oil

Mixing engine oil

Anyone know if it would be an issue to mix different grade oils?

I believe the Sciroccos use 5w30 (correct me if I'm wrong). I was told that I can run a heavier grade oil and it would even whiten down the rattle of the engine. Recommendation was to run 5w40 or even 5w60. Any one done this?

So, here's the dilemma. My car is due for a service is a couple of thousand Km and I usually have a can of oil in the garage to ensure the oil is topped up. I've run out of 5w30 and didn't want to buy another 5w30 if I can run a heavier oil but if I can run a heavier oil, can I mix the 2 before the service and at the service, dump the old oil and replace with all heavier oil.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Nothing will happen when you top up with 5w40 oil, all of them are synthetic anyway. Though I’d prefer it had VW specs.

So the viscosity difference shouldn't be a problem?

Users Country Flag
    No. Especially if you only top up and when it’s 5w40.

What if I go 5w60? Would that be too much of an extrem?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bops View Post
    What if I go 5w60? Would that be too much of an extrem?

Why would you use 5W60 ? Ideally all top ups should be done with the approved oil.

I'm assuming the higher viscosity oil would mean less noise from the engine and possible less smoke coming out the back?

Back in the old days we used an oil conditioner like Moreys for high milage engines and it worked a treat. Not sure if that is still practiced nowadays and with the more high tech engines

Users Country Flag

Mixing engine oil

Hi guys. Has anyone used an engine flush in the engine oil change. This was recommended to me when doing an oil change but Ive never used it before. Any comments would be appreciated. Does it make any difference to a normal oil change.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bops View Post
    I'm assuming the higher viscosity oil would mean less noise from the engine and possible less smoke coming out the back?

Back in the old days we used an oil conditioner like Moreys for high milage engines and it worked a treat. Not sure if that is still practiced nowadays and with the more high tech engines
    If you have visible smoke coming out the back then there's a mechanical issue. Different oil might mask this for a while but won't fix it.

There's no way I'd run 5w-60 but your engine is probably toast already so go for it.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kamwors View Post
    Hi guys. Has anyone used an engine flush in the engine oil change. This was recommended to me when doing an oil change but Ive never used it before. Any comments would be appreciated. Does it make any difference to a normal oil change.
    Change the oil when the engine is hot and as soon after shutdown as possible.

If you are getting noticeable sludge buildup then change the oil more often
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums