Thread: Considering the Rocco

Users Country Flag

Considering the Rocco

In the hunt for medium sized car and can't seem to get the Scirocco out of my mind. Absolutely love the looks and while it ticks a lot of other boxes there's still a nagging feeling giving me doubt.

The biggest one is that it's based on an ageing platform. The car has only had incremental updates done to it in the last 8 years and it still has the old engine. I'm guessing it will either get a complete refresh soon or they will stop making it, which makes this the worst time to buy one.

On the other hand I can't think of anything else which really excites me in the price range. The Golf just looks too subdued for me and the other euros are either to pricey or just plain bland.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe someone who recently bought one to ease my mind?

It's also interesting that this part of the forum seems to have died off in the last two years, have people stopped buying them in Australia?

Users Country Flag
    It is not quite as refined as the newer platform vehicles. I think it feels slightly less refined than my previous mk6 GTI. That said, I don't think that necessarily makes it a worse car. I actually think it makes it more engaging to drive. Fuel consumption isn't great, I have beeen averaging about 11-12L/100km so far. My GTI averaged about 9-10L/100km for the same driving. But to be honest I don't care that much.

The fact that it has the old running gear was actually something that I thought was a good thing - presumably any bugs have well and truly been sorted by now. The other positive is that the model doesn't owe anything to VW now, so they are more willing to negotiate on price. I negotiated 8 grand off mine and got them to upgrade my VW factory warranty to 5 years for free. I got it for about the same price as a GTI. I wouldn't mind if they stopped selling them here, just makes it even more rare and exclusive. A brand new model wouldn't be great though, but regardless of what you buy, eventually it will be superceded.

In terms of sportiness, it feels a lot more like a sports car than the GTI did. It handles remarkably better and just hugs the road in a way the GTI just didn't.

I agree with you about the looks. It is a sexy car. The Golf is nice too, but doesn't have that eye-catching silhouette and stance.

Take one for a test drive and see what you think.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I agree with Tobes_WIR35 on those points, it honestly is a great little car and so much fun. Very hard to find anything else with that styling for the money. I'm 3 1/2 years & 80,000kms into mine and aside from a new battery it has been trouble free. I will be very sad when its time to say goodbye but at this stage that won't be anytime soon. I believe VW have canned a MK4 Scirocco due to the Dieselgate costs so unless they suddenly change their mind then the MK3 will be the last Scirocco for a while. The revised model that Tobes bought has so many extras included as standard now it really is a bargain, especially if you can pick one up for that price. Sat Nav was a $3500 option when I got mine! Rort!
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDub77 View Post
    In the hunt for medium sized car and can't seem to get the Scirocco out of my mind. Absolutely love the looks and while it ticks a lot of other boxes there's still a nagging feeling giving me doubt.

The biggest one is that it's based on an ageing platform. The car has only had incremental updates done to it in the last 8 years and it still has the old engine. I'm guessing it will either get a complete refresh soon or they will stop making it, which makes this the worst time to buy one.

On the other hand I can't think of anything else which really excites me in the price range. The Golf just looks too subdued for me and the other euros are either to pricey or just plain bland.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe someone who recently bought one to ease my mind?

It's also interesting that this part of the forum seems to have died off in the last two years, have people stopped buying them in Australia?
    Hi... I am in the same frame of mind as you ....I love the shape ...I don't need back seat room/ 4 door convenience ...yet something ( maybe the thought of a 3 door GTI late in 2017, no opening sunroof) is holding me back. If you want a new one you had better move quickly as they have almost stopped bringing them in as last year they sold less than 200 ...I guess that is why you never see them on the road !...but I like that. I am told that late this year they will bring out a Wolfsburg edition as the last harrah ...but there are no details as yet. What colour are you considering?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah, as with anything there are pros and cons. Especially with a car purchase you usually have to compromise and see what’s most important to you. I’ll def go and test drive it to see how it goes. Looking at a 2015 model or demo. Most likely in blue.. let’s see how it goes.

As an aside, I noticed not much action in the events section of this forum. Does the QLD crew organise anything besides a Breakfast and Tracks day from time to time (cruise, carting, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDub77 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah, as with anything there are pros and cons. Especially with a car purchase you usually have to compromise and see what’s most important to you. I’ll def go and test drive it to see how it goes. Looking at a 2015 model or demo. Most likely in blue.. let’s see how it goes.

As an aside, I noticed not much action in the events section of this forum. Does the QLD crew organise anything besides a Breakfast and Tracks day from time to time (cruise, carting, etc)?
    Ipswich VW have a blue Demo for $45k....its been there a while so i am sure you could do a deal.

Users Country Flag
    I got mine got $46,500. It was brand new (not a demo), MY16 2015 plate. No options. With the extended 5 year factory warranty.
    RRP was $54,500. I was very happy with thay deal.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

There's a Wolfsburg edition coming out, that will finish up the Scirocco model run:

VW Scirocco R Wolfsburg, Passat 206TSI R-Line pricing
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag

VW announced the Scirocco Wolfsburg edition

http://www.motoring.com.au/vw-farewe...irocco-103478/
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold