Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vr6t

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by patmould93 View Post
    Might have to wait til my lunch break to reply to this, it's going to be a long one...

What are your goals? How much power do you want?
    goals are just to boost it, have some fun. im looking around 250 to 300hp.
    i want to do this on the lowest budget possible, dont even care if all my parts are second hand.
    lmao i just want to do something with my mates in the garage.
    to be honest, i don't want it to blow, but at the same time.. it's not the biggest deal in the world.

as i said, i want to use the stock ecu(but i don't even know if it's possible, i read somewhere up to 8psi is possible on stock ecu so that's around what i'd probably have it)

Cliffo's spreadsheet is a good expectation. I'd tack on another $500 for mess up's etc, also if you don't have an exhaust.

td05 16g?

No way. I had an 18g on my sti and it was making 24psi by 3500rpm.

Precision 6262 .82 rear and t4 flange. As that's what tge spa exhaust manifold uses. Journal bearing ones are $1100 ball bearing ones are $1700.

Driven a mk4 r32 with similar turbo that makes 387kw atw. It was on 30psi by 3400rpm take into account capacity, head and headwork. Will put it at 3800~rpm 15psi on a 12v

Users Country Flag
    I've been doing a lot of research into VR6ts lately. I'm planning to get the ball rolling in the next few months on my build.

The thing is if you cut corners, **** will break. You won't be able to run your stock ECU, I haven't really looked into chips but my understanding is they don't work in Australia (well, if at all) as they're mapped in the US or whatever, doesn't work on the ECUs here or the fuel/conditions are different etc. Not really sure. So you'd probably want to look at running a standalone ECU. Here's my list:

-ARP Head studs
    -ARP Rod Bolts
    -ARP Main studs (depending on how much boost you want to run, you could go without these)
    -Head spacer to lower your compression
    -May want to look into cleaing the head up a bit
    -Clutch
    -Fuel injectors and rail, pressure regulator
    -Oil pan with fittings, oil lines to the turbo
    -Peloquin or Quaife LSD (you don't have to but that FWD wheelspin will be ridiculous)
    -Have your timing chains been done? Your engine is at about 200,000km right? They'll need doing soon.
    -Exhaust manifold (ATP to fit RHD cars or custom)
    -Downpipe (3")
    -Catback exhaust (probably want to run 3" or 2.5", 3" will increase power)
    -Standalone ECU (megasquirt is a good budget option)
    -Tuning time on the dyno (unless you learn how to tune, lots of info out there and its possible)
    -Turbo (depends what you want, I'd suggest Garrett GT3076 or something, research to decide what you want)
    -Front mount intercooler
    -All piping for intercooler
    -Short runner intake is optional

Now that your car is going really fast, you should probably look into your brakes and handling. Maybe 312mm Audi TT brakes, some decent rubber, maybe some coilovers that are a bit better handling than Hot Tunings and maybe strut braces.

That's my list for now... Might have forgotten stuff, but basically everything adds up! Keep researching and see how it goes. You live nearby so if I get my **** sorted some time soon and get started on my build, you should come round!

Some good threads FYI:

VWVortex.com - (Pics Fixed) OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS??

My VR6T
    '95 Golf VR6 Colour Concept

What ever you think you will spend on a turbo, Double it. I laughed at someone when they first told me that but they got the last laugh. There is just so many little pieces here and there that add up to extra cost specially shipping. You can save a bit of money buy looking at the tex classified. Plenty of turbo kits done tested and ready to move on. Also an alternative to tuning is speak to vince from steath racing in the UK. He is doing my tuning for cheaper than any of the other tunes but it is also on the road tuning and custom to my build so should be better. Best is to do a hell of a lot of research on vortex as their is plenty of builds and info over there. But in your case do remember its only FWD.

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

Quote Originally Posted by Back Door Shenanigans. View Post
    What ever you think you will spend on a turbo, Double it. I laughed at someone when they first told me that but they got the last laugh. There is just so many little pieces here and there that add up to extra cost specially shipping. You can save a bit of money buy looking at the tex classified. Plenty of turbo kits done tested and ready to move on. Also an alternative to tuning is speak to vince from steath racing in the UK. He is doing my tuning for cheaper than any of the other tunes but it is also on the road tuning and custom to my build so should be better. Best is to do a hell of a lot of research on vortex as their is plenty of builds and info over there. But in your case do remember its only FWD.
    thanks bud!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12