Thread: VR6 Starter Motors. rebuild? second hand? new?

VR6 Starter Motors. rebuild? second hand? new?

Hi all.
    I have read a lot of information and believe the clutch gear on my starter is intermittent.
    Turn key.. starter commences not engaging. Engages slips out. Free spins etc. Starts eventually.

I would love to rebuild. Called and called and word on the street there is no parts. What does everyone do?

Are all Mk3 starters the same regardless of model.

Users Country Flag
    According to Bentley all the starter motors are the same except on the VR6 there is no M10 nut and M12 bolt to remove from the underside when removing it.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stevoooish View Post
    Hi all.
    I have read a lot of information and believe the clutch gear on my starter is intermittent.
    Turn key.. starter commences not engaging. Engages slips out. Free spins etc. Starts eventually.

I would love to rebuild. Called and called and word on the street there is no parts. What does everyone do?

Are all Mk3 starters the same regardless of model.
    If you are stingy like the rest of us, you can always start with a good clean, degrease and regrease of all the parts.

Here is the DIY (this is a mk4 but still essentially the same process and he gives a good recount of how to clean it all up):
    VWVortex.com - DIY - Starter Motor Grind Fix and Starter Motor Replacement

I have done it three times in an attempt to stop it from grinding after the car starts but it only solves the problem temporarily so I've given up.

Really not a hard job. Just whipe out the battery and the battery tray and then its a few bolts from there.
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.