Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR6 Performance Chip :/

Unhappy VR6 Performance Chip :/

Hi all, I got curious and took out my VR6 ECU just to have a peek at it all before ordering a new performance chip, I'm after more punch. I took the casing off to discover I already have one!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of tune this is as I'm looking for something better. Hopefully someone has seen these at some point and can give me some sort of insight into it as to why I don't feel my 2.8 VR6 engine isn't punchy enough to my liking :p

Thanks in advance

VR6 Performance Chip :/-img_1506-jpgVR6 Performance Chip :/-img_1507-jpg

UPDATE:

Okay, just did a little research and found the info I was after.
    Powerchip Performance Software Tuning for BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche is where the chip is from and someone originally would've paid over $800 for it!!

But why do I feel like I'm not getting enough torque? I feel like I'm driving a 4 cylinder car.
    I tested my compression and all was 150psi and above.
    Exhaust is standard with the suitcase muffler newly removed today using standard size piping to replace it. (I notice it's not as loud as I thought it would be and does those little coughs when downshifting not putting the gas on.
    Currently waiting on new spark plugs to arrive.
    Should I get my injectors cleaned if the spark plugs don't give me a kick in the teeth?

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried the air filter? I'm sure you have but just a suggestion
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

The panel air filter?
    Just picked a new one up today, wasn't going to install until the spark plugs are here :p

I did forget to mention I did the airbox mod the second day I owned it due to it being a free and easy mod too!

What airbox mod did you do ??

The square cut out.

While doing the air box mod is supposed to give a bigger "roar", it actually is worse for the engine due to increased heat soak. Would advise getting a new air box and going back to stock with an uprated panel filter i.e k&n or similar, or else getting a pod mounted in the guard.

As for lack of performance would get a code reader on it, would also test engine with and without MAF connected. Oxygen sensor may also be up the creek, but this is more likely to show on a reader.
    Other things to consider include fuel supply - check fuel filter and pump function.

Hope this helps

Users Country Flag
    Punchy enough compared to what?

I've never put the VR in the class of punchy, more so a torque monster.

Maybe do a back to back driving someone else's VR to make a comparison.

I've had mine chipped alongside other mods and I feel I have more mid range than a stocker (which I also have). It's still not punchy though.

As for mods, I'd do some engine mounts to pep it up a little

response-wise

Users Country Flag

I had the Powerchip in my old VR6. (purchased vehicle with chip already installed).

It went proper well! I did have a quality full Remus exhaust and genuine BMC CDA intake as well though. Amongst other small performance things.

When coasting around town, fluttering the accelerator the old girl used to pop and grumble through the Remus. It was heaven. Drool big time.

No point having a chip or tune if your car isn't mechanically A1
    2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero - Stage 2. 275hp 420Nm, Brew City Boost
    1986 SAAB 900 Turbo 16 S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast