Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR6 Cooling system - to go metal, or not to go metal?

Users Country Flag

VR6 Cooling system - to go metal, or not to go metal?

Hi all,

broke the crack pipe today.... It's fairly screwed though so probably good that I did it at home and not out somewhere in the middle of nowhere. So a few questions:

1) Metal or plastic crack pipe?

The plastic has lasted this long but in saying that I love the idea of upgrading to a proper aluminium one that wont cark it if i bump it...

2) Normal or low temp thermostat?

I've heard low temp thermostats can cause issues with the ECU etc? Thinking I might just stick with the OEM temp...

3) SHould I do the waterpump at the same time? And if so, should I go metal or plastic?

I have the money to do it but have heard some issues with the metal ones? Like they have failed after 2 months?

Appreciate the input!

Oh also, where would you all buy it? ECS or somewhere local?
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

Users Country Flag
    Nothing wrong with the plastic water pumps if you treat them as a consumable.

As for where to get everything, shop around.

Ring Tooley Imports in Sydney to start off with.

ECS isn't always the cheapest option, moreso when you factor in the shipping.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Nothing wrong with the plastic water pumps if you treat them as a consumable.

As for where to get everything, shop around.

Ring Tooley Imports in Sydney to start off with.

ECS isn't always the cheapest option, moreso when you factor in the shipping.
    Fair enough on the waterpumps. I mean they last 160xxx + so I figure thats a fair few ks anyway!

Will try all the options and yeh agreed on ECS with the shipping plus AUD vs USD atm!
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

Users Country Flag
    seeing as you ned to do the crach pipe and are thinkin thermostat, you are better off changing everything in one process. I got all the bits and pieces in need such as pipe, thermostat housing, ront rear flange, all new o rigs, etc.. from tooleys for $165. all up about 12 odd pieces in all.
    I ordered a water pump on ebay with metal impeller delivered for like $40. If interested, i can give you all the part numbers from tooleys if u want to order?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbs76 View Post
    seeing as you ned to do the crach pipe and are thinkin thermostat, you are better off changing everything in one process. I got all the bits and pieces in need such as pipe, thermostat housing, ront rear flange, all new o rigs, etc.. from tooleys for $165. all up about 12 odd pieces in all.
    I ordered a water pump on ebay with metal impeller delivered for like $40. If interested, i can give you all the part numbers from tooleys if u want to order?
    Cheers man but seb from euro revolution is helping me out. Really appreciate your input though

If it doesnt work out with seb ill definitely give tooleys a call

Users Country Flag
    too easy..hes a good bloke

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbs76 View Post
    Yes please : )

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlasMk2 View Post
    Yes please : )
    Water pipe Vr6 021121050cx $19.00
    Hose oil cooler 021121058a $18.00
    Radiator Cap 257 121 321c $18.
    Housing to thermostat VR6 021121133dx $25.00
    O ring thermo housing n10139201 $9.00 x1
    Thermostat housing VR6 021121117ax $26.00
    O ring thrmo housing n10139201 $4.50
    O ring thermo 021121119a $9.00
    O ring thermo 035121119 $2.70
    Thermostat housing adaptor 021121121ax $17.00
    O ring thermo housing n90316802 $7.50 (U need 3 - $7.50 in total

Hope this helps

Users Country Flag
    Id recommend sticking with the standard thermostat. i went with a cooler one and she uses more fuel because it doesn't get up to temp and pumps more fuel in to compensate.

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast