Support VWWC

Thread: (vr6) arcing against block...

Users Country Flag

(vr6) arcing against block...

hey all, i have recently bought a 94 vr and found it running quite poorly on the drive home after picking it up (misfiring, sluggish from a set of lights etc) owner claims the plugs have been replaced which by the looks of them they have (good quality plugs too) but cylinder 3,4 the leads are real loose and wont clip properly down unlike the others, as i ran the car in the dark the two cylinders (3,4) would arc quite badly/often. question is, should i fork out for a whole new set of leads due the the two of which dont sit tightly over the plugs? or is there something else i should look for.. thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    please make a thread of this vr you speak of

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    hehe ill clean it sat and take some pics for the interested folks on here.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, definitely throw a set of leads at it.

They're easy to damage if you're a bit rough with removing them.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Check where it's arcing from in the dark. From what you've said it's probably coming from where those leads are loose. If the lead is loose you'll be able to see it arcing from where it connects to the coilpack or spark plugs. If it's arcing from the coilpack, take it off and inspect it for cracks.

If the coilpack is cracked, easiest/cheapest thing to do is the JB weld epoxy fix:
    DIY: MkIII VR6 Coilpack repair

If it is the leads, just buy a full set. No point in having some old/some new for the sake of $100. Make sure you get an ignition lead removal tool or make something similar to remove/replace the ignition lead from the spark plug: Techtonics Spark Plug Wire Removal Tool, Mk3/4 2.0L, 12v VR6 [945 000T] - $35.00 : Techtonics Tuning, VW and Audi Performance Tuning and Repair Parts

They are a pain in the ass to access and pulling on the lead will break them!
    '95 Golf VR6 Colour Concept

Beautiful thanks mate

Users Country Flag
    Get mk4 vr6 leads. They have pull tabs and make life 100% easier. Ignition lead removal tool might be on your bonnet strut, they all come with one stock.

oh just came home with the new leads.. haha ah well, i forked out and got a good set. ill just buy the tool of ecs if its not on the bonnet

(ps if anyone in melb has one and wouldnt mind lending me one give me a shout out! happily pick/drop off)