Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vento VR6

Vento VR6

Hey guys. Long time lurker, soon-to-be frequent poster in the MK3 section

Just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Steve and I'm the new owner of the blue MK3 Vento that Bima and Ray went to QLD to pick up from Joe. Ray is a high school mate and we go way way back. I still remember when he first took delivery of the first white MK3, affectionately known as "the ****box". Ray was actually the one who got me into dubs in the first place. Through Ray, I got to meet Bima when he still had the white MK3 VR6 and have known him for a while now too.

I have a white MK6 Golf R and prior to this, I also had a MK5 Jetta Turbo (which was written off before I could finish it)

Link to MK6 Golf R build thread

Photo of my MK6 Golf R with Bima and Ray

Bima bought this from Joe and flew up to QLD with Ray to drive this thing back down. From what I heard there were a few dramas on the way back but wasn't major and not only that, the engine never skipped a beat. To cut a long story short, Bima decided that it wasn't for him in the end and he was thinking about selling it, and that if I wanted it we could work something out. At this stage I was also looking for a project car, namely another MK5 Jetta to get back into to basically finish off what I started. I had already went and looked at a few MK5 Jetta Turbo's already but they were all so crap. So, after much deliberation, I decided to take Bima up on his offer.

Blue slip and rego and everything had already been taken care of and a few bits and pieces like spark plugs, radiator flush, fuel filter, etc have already been serviced by Bima. Few more things needed to be looked after but I'm pretty excited to have this thing in my hands now!

Vento now in my possession (1/8/2015)

First wash/vacuum by me, cleaning out all the crap inside, emptying bottles, cigarette ash, etc and getting it as clean as possible. Came out pretty well for a 20 year old car! (2/8/2015)

There are still lots of things which will require my attention in the near future so I will be searching VWW/Vortex as well as asking Ray and Bima for their guidance. It's my first venture into MK3 territory and pretty excited to see what's in store!

Looking forward to bringing this out to meets etc and meeting some of you guys It's a great car and I want to give it the refresh it deserves!

Cheers.

Steve
    Last edited by stephen8512; 02-08-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Interesting. Good luck

Users Country Flag
    Very Interesting and Unique!
    Mk3 2.0. Mk3 VR6 CC. Future Mk2?

Users Country Flag
    Haha been watching Bima post about it on Facebook. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Yeww good work Stephen!

Ventos bring back such good memories.
    I bought a brand new one in America at the end of 1993,and another brand new in South Africa at the end of 1995.

They were badged as Jetta 3s,and were great cars.

Ive also owned a MK2 Jetta,and a MK5 Jetta in Oz.

Users Country Flag
    I used to drive a Mk 3 Jetta in South Africa. Was the exact same colour. Loved that car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big day today.

Started off by heading over to the local exhaust shop and getting the resonator removed and welded on with a straight pipe instead. However, when the resonator was removed, the catalytic converter had it and it was blocked and bits which were in there weren't meant to be in there. So, replaced the cat and welded that on along with the straight pipe. Sounded fantastic! Definitely needed this to hear more of that glorious VR6 note.

At the exhaust shop, hoisted up, cutting out the resonator

Inside the Cat, looking very crap indeed

Afterwards, popped by Autobarn and Repco to pick up some stuff for future maintenance purposes :

So when I initially took delivery of the car, the car was misfiring intermittently at idle. The spark plugs had been changed already so it couldn't be that. It was either the ignition leads or the coilpack. I received a spare coilpack from Bima when he picked up the car and I was able to get some near new (2 week old) BREMI ignition leads from Gumtree.

In order to properly connect the spark plug wires, I needed to know which post on the coilpack was for which cylinder spark plug.
    The spark plug wire posts on the VR6 coilpack were like this:

So following this, I decided to pull the leads out. As I was about to remove them, I noticed that the leads were plugged in the wrong way, i.e lead 1-3-5 were plugged into coilpack plug 2-4-6 and vice versa! Whether this made a huge difference or not I'm not sure, but I didn't like how they were fitted incorrectly.

When I pulled the leads out from the coilpack, I noticed that a little bit of Lead #6 had got stuck in the coilpack. Upon inspection, it seems like it broke whilst it was plugged in. This was what was causing the misfire. Notice how in the top left of the coilpack there is a little bit of the old lead stuck in there.

Since I had a spare coilpack which came with the car from Bima, I decided I may as well replace the coilpack since I'm replacing the leads anyway. Took the cover off, unscrewed the coilpack and put the spare one in. Fitted up all the leads and plugged them in the correct way and started it up. It sounded very throaty and I initially didn't think much of it and thought that maybe it was because of the resonator delete. However, after driving around the block it was clear that power was down. I drove back into my garage, popped the engine bonnet and this is what I saw :

The coilpacks are quite prone to failure it seems upon reading up on them and its handy to have a spare in the car. So the coilpack was busted. I returned to the original coilpack which had the stuck bit inside and using some pliers I pulled it out with no residue left inside the plugs. Popped the bonnet back up, removed the busted coilpack, replaced it with the one which was originally fitted, plugged up the leads properly and started her up. Sounding much better!

Also, seems like the previous owner tried to paint the engine manifold black but either the paint/engine enamel used was crap or the prep wasn't done properly, or both. Got some degreaser out and did what I could to remove the crap. Still need to do the rest of it but ran out of time. Will be completely removing the previous paintwork and then re-painting it myself later on but will be doing it properly.

Before with old leads:

After with a clean up and new leads:

In the bin you go...

Decided to change the headlamps and parkers too while I was at it.

Jetta and Golf.

Last edited by stephen8512; 04-08-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice work. Did the same thing with the leads today.
    The plastic bits surrounding the engine, apart from the inscribed VR6-2.8 engine cover, were black stock on mine. Maybe it was different on the Jetta.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Quote Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
    Nice work. Did the same thing with the leads today.
    The plastic bits surrounding the engine, apart from the inscribed VR6-2.8 engine cover, were black stock on mine. Maybe it was different on the Jetta.
    Ah right. Yeah I was talking about the manifold. I think when the previous owner sprayed the manifold black, he mustve painted over the black plastic bits too, but either way it was done pretty poorly and doesnt do the engine bay any justice. Keen on scrubbing it all off, primering and using proper engine enamel/paint to coat it in a nice black

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast