Thread: using an obdeleven on a mk3

using an obdeleven on a mk3

I have a mk3 with the ADY. I bought it with a dead motor and found another motor to put in it. I'm using the original dizzy and throttle body.
    I can't get it to run, the idle hunts, it won't rev, has no torque whatsoever, I can't get it to reverse up the driveway.

I've bought an OBDeleven which I will let me clear fault codes but I can't get it to adapt the TB or anything more.

Any tips on how to make it work?

Users Country Flag
    If it is a ADY, then it should be a 1994 or a 1995 build engine, which I believe means that it is a ODBI not a ODBII ECU/interface. Not sure if ODBEleven will work with ODBI.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Can confirm, what feenix has said, I made the same mistake as OP and had to buy another ODBI compatible cable and find a copy of vag com.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
    Hyundai Getz (2015 -- 2017)

Golf Mk3 GL 95' (2017 - 2018 - Now)
    Golf MK2 GTi 91' (2018 - Now)

I would suggest that you go back to basics. Check the valve timing, ignition timing and check for vacuum leaks.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by swarz View Post
    I have a mk3 with the ADY. I bought it with a dead motor and found another motor to put in it. I'm using the original dizzy and throttle body.
    I can't get it to run, the idle hunts, it won't rev, has no torque whatsoever, I can't get it to reverse up the driveway.

I've bought an OBDeleven which I will let me clear fault codes but I can't get it to adapt the TB or anything more.

Any tips on how to make it work?
    Check the firing order, most likely you didn't install distributor correctly.

I have checked the valve timing more than once and I'm pretty sure the distributor is timed accurately, I will check for air leaks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Check the firing order, most likely you didn't install distributor correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by swarz View Post
    I have checked the valve timing more than once and I'm pretty sure the distributor is timed accurately, I will check for air leaks.
    As mentioned above, double check the dizzy mate. I have had my dizzy 180deg out, and it caused issues you are describing. It wont hurt to take the dizzy out, rotate the motor a few times to TDC and start the timing process again.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Ok, that is a bit crap as the blurb for the obd11 said it would work with this model and older vehicles too.

Users Country Flag
    Yes, it may work on them, but but you don't get much of the info. Most likely you get the rpm, maybe timing.

Did you get your car started?

A longtime replying. I gave up on it for a few years but back trying again now that I've lost my A4 to the airbag fiasco.
    Replaced the fuel pump and the internal tank fuel line. the pump gets 4.5 v only with key at ignition point, no extra when cranking but I can feel the relay activating. Pump does work if given 12v. fuses ok.
    Has it thrown a code to cause this low voltage?