Thread: Repanneling a car?

Users Country Flag

Repanneling a car?

Anyone ever thought or actually done a repannel or "reverse reshelling" of a car? Would it be legal to buy a donor car, strip all the panels/doors/hood/hatch off and put it onto a currently registered car?
    My current car has years of dints and scratches from previous owners as well as clear coat peeling completely from the hood and roof, and started on both front doors. The car is mechanically perfect as is but aesthetically it could be alot better.
    How legal would it be to strip all the panels, doors and front/rear bumpers off a donor car and put them onto a currently rego'd car?
    Is there big troubles that I could run into halfway through a stripped car?
    I don't think I would paint it apart from the roof after the reshell, anything colour wise that I could run into?
    Any other problems?
    Any information would be great, I've tried looking up the legality of reshelling but this isn't taking out the engine, more like giving it new panels, also with each State being different.
    I'm in QLD, and any help would be very useful.
    Cheers
    BrownTown
    Mk3 2.0. Mk3 VR6 CC. Future Mk2?

Users Country Flag
    dude I can't see an issue with that at all... can you not just get it resprayed?

Users Country Flag
    People drive around here with panels from 4 cars not resprayed. I don't think it matters.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

only have to tell anyone if ypu change the colour, which you arent doing, so no problems.
    Calling NSW Mid North Coast VW Enthusiasts - Click Below
    Mid North Coast Dub Club

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by browntown42 View Post
    Anyone ever thought or actually done a repannel or "reverse reshelling" of a car? Would it be legal to buy a donor car, strip all the panels/doors/hood/hatch off and put it onto a currently registered car?
    My current car has years of dints and scratches from previous owners as well as clear coat peeling completely from the hood and roof, and started on both front doors. The car is mechanically perfect as is but aesthetically it could be alot better.
    How legal would it be to strip all the panels, doors and front/rear bumpers off a donor car and put them onto a currently rego'd car?
    Is there big troubles that I could run into halfway through a stripped car?
    I don't think I would paint it apart from the roof after the reshell, anything colour wise that I could run into?
    Any other problems?
    Any information would be great, I've tried looking up the legality of reshelling but this isn't taking out the engine, more like giving it new panels, also with each State being different.
    I'm in QLD, and any help would be very useful.
    Cheers
    BrownTown
    Need a donor white Mk3?

Can't see it being an issue, not sure if those panels even get VIN stamped, they just have part numbers. Panel wise you're pretty much limited to the hinged stuff, doors, boot, bonnet, and bumpers.... quarter panels are welded.