Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul's VR6

Users Country Flag

Paul's VR6

I have owned my VR6 since May 2010, am second owner, bought off a friend of mine. Car is stock standard, now has 108,000km on the clock. I still have the original owners manual, service log book and a few other bits & pieces from when car was first sold. Still have the Service history, I have let the side down on that front . I have not been driving the car much as I work in the city so mostly on the train.

Paul's VR6-golf-vr6-2018-jpg

Paul's VR6-golf-vr6-speedo-25aug19-0900-jpg

Paul's VR6-owners-manual-jpg

Paul's VR6-service-history-snapshot-jpg

Not much has happened in 9 years it is now back end of 2019. I have kept the Golf despite pressure to sell given its not our main car, but am so glad I still have it.

Replaced the coilpack in 2016 based on good advice from the forum . Had some frustrating previous failed attempts with mechanics at local garage.

Paul's VR6-coilpack-14jan16-jpg

I put in a new head unit that has bluetooth and handsfree, still have to finish the handsfree install part.
    new Head unit installed - Pioneer DEH-S5050BT
    * Key features are bluetooth & support for iPhone, Spotify and handsfree

Paul's VR6-pioneer-head-unit-jpg

Then had the coolant system issue in June 2019, again great advice from the forum that stopped me spending more $$ than I needed to, big thanks for that

Paul's VR6-thermo-housing-issue-jpg

Was great to fix the coolant issue, first time I ordered stuff from ECS in the US, all went very well. Now want to drive the car more often, will keep an eye out for drive days, that sounds like fun. I am somewhat of a noob re mechanicals but have now done some minor stuff compared to the major work others do on this forum.

Just got new tyres, Yokohama 205/50R15 86V Advan Fleva V701 got 3 for the price of 4 deal at Bob Jane Moorabbin, they did a great job, very helpful

Paul's VR6-yokahama-86v-fleva-v701-21aug19-jpg

Today I fired up the Karcher and gave the car a bit of a clean, looks great after some attention

Paul's VR6-golf-vr6-25aug19-1730-jpg

I wanted to start this to motivate myself to work through the list of things I want to get done.

My list
    1. Service and tune up (last one done in Aug 2013)
    2. Flush coolant & oil change
    3. Remove wheels and give them a really good clean
    4. Coilovers - looking at BC Racing (H-01-RN), cannot afford the KWs or similar at $2K plus. Car sits way too high at the moment, would handle better too if lower. One day I might go to 16" or 17" wheels but for now happy with the 15" and am loving the Yokahamas
    5. Aircon - need to get this fixed as I am too old to drive around this car w/o that outside of winter months. Think the whole thing needs replacing not just re-gassing
    6. Exhaust - want a little bit of low end growl nothing to loud & def need some chrome dual pipes
    7. Fog lights, have panels but no lights would love to get a set installed
    8. Fix passenger side door lock. Have the issue where the lock mech spins and comes out with key
    9. Fix rear window mech, window just falls open now, have jerry rigged it so it cannot be opened for now ��
    10. Fit hands free kit to the stereo, came with one so just need to install the mic
    11. Fix the rear demister, currently not working
    12. Sway bars - keen to get rock solid handling
    13. Timing belt - not sure when to do this, perhaps should replace cams at the same time, not noisy but probably overdue.

So lets see how I go

Users Country Flag
    Nice, VR6, there Paul!

I loved mine and its 1 of 3 VWs (out of 10) I still miss today. The R is shaping up to be #4 on that list, but the VR6s are special.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Nice, VR6, there Paul!

I loved mine and its 1 of 3 VWs (out of 10) I still miss today. The R is shaping up to be #4 on that list, but the VR6s are special.
    thanks Sharkie hoping to keep this one going for a while its great to drive when everything is working.

Quick update

My new headlight bulbs arrived today so thats a small start, will get them in over the weekend
    Paul's VR6-headlight-bulbs-jpg

Ordered my Bentley Mk3 manual as well as the coilover install kit for the various bushings/bearings from ECS
    Will order my BC racing coilovers soon, will go with the more street friendly option VN model.

Car booked in for service, tune up, coolant flush & aircon check next Tues at Auto Union in Oakleigh, they were good with our family MKV golf so thought I'd start there.

Am off and running hopefully next week won't have too many surprises from the service & aircon check but that might be being a bit too optimistic.

Have been reading up on BMC CDA's they look like a good addition

Got the bulbs installed. Took of the headlights plus front grill to do a bit of a clean. All came up ok, I didn't break anything , lights now much brighter.

Removed front wheel passenger side, cleaned that up made a big difference. Realised it was the first time I had removed the wheels. I was expecting the inside of the BBS wheels to be same colour as the front but they were a white/stone colour. Cleaned up well, looks heaps better than before. Did a bit of work cleaning the interior today.

Paul's VR6-img_3435-jpg

Ordered the coilovers tonight, went with the BC Racing RN's will post some pics once they arrive as well as some shots once they are fitted to the car, assuming I can do that .

Off to the mechanic on Tuesday morning.

Looking good!
    They nailed the oem bbs, such a good looking wheel.
    Be sure to order new strut top bushes and bearings for the coils, the other ones are likely dead

Nice thread so far!
    1996 Golf VR6 Colour Concept Green

Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Nice thread so far!
    Thanks Matty am enjoying getting the car back on the road. The new tyres are so good, driving around today in the rain was fun, car feels really sure footed, corners so much better.

Got the car back from the mechanics:
    - I now have working aircon - system all checked out ok, has been re-gassed lets see how it goes, so far so good. You know your getting old when having working Air Con is a great thing
    - Coolant flushed now have the pink/red coolant, will ring then Monday to find out what brand
    - Service done, car running nicely
    - Front brakes done new pads and rotors, feels much better when braking
    - Replaced the main drive belt

Today I finally put on my vwwatercooled.com.au sticker on the rear window, was a nice touch.

Coilovers, bearing kit and Bentley manual should all arrive in 2 weeks.

I did loose one of my BBS centre caps, the front left side one, lost some tabs after I cleaned the wheel and then the cap fell off when driving . Have ordered some VW ones off ebay, will be interesting to see how they pan out.

Quick photo of the water cooled sticker as I have no other cool parts yet.

Paul's VR6-img_3443-jpg

As mentioned earlier I did loose one of my BBS centre caps after i cleaned the wheel so I ordered 4 VW wheel centre inserts off ebay

Paul's VR6-img_3446-jpg

Will keep looking for a BBS one, but the ones I saw were a bit expensive plus shipping from the UK.

Still waiting on my ECS package plus my coilovers

Parts have all arrived

All the parts have now arrived. I have coilovers, suspension kit and the Bentley repair manual along with some BBS centre caps if I change my mind about the VW ones.

BC Racing coilovers
    Paul's VR6-coliovers-box-2-jpg

Paul's VR6-coliovers-3-jpg

Suspension parts
    Paul's VR6-suspension-parts1-jpg

My new Bentley manual
    Paul's VR6-service-manual-jpg

and some extra centre caps
    Paul's VR6-bbs-centre-caps-jpg

Now the challenge is getting these all fitted by myself over a weekend one wheel at a time
    I also have the slight problem that the mechanic tightened up the wheel nuts so tight i can't undo them with the standard wheel nut tool .

May need to get a long steel pipe as an extension lever or go back to the shop to get wheel nuts loosened....

Paul

1996 Golf Mk3 VR6
    2006 Golf Mk5 2.0 TDI

ran into a problem today that i overlooked, I can't get the 21mm nut off the top of the existing strut as I have no way of then getting the allen key in to stop the thing spinning. Also don't have an impact wrench so maybe i need to look into that as well, nice to have i guess.

Will either order the strut tool from ecstuning or they have a large offset wrench that does both 21mm and 22mm which is designed to get at that nut.

Am looking at various coilover install guides, lot of the MK3 ones don't seem to have pic's any more.

In the meantime I wanted to check how the coilovers and the bearing parts all fit together

The pics below show how i think the bearing parts go onto the front coilover. Does this seem right
    Here is he coilover with the parts from coilovers plus the 2 black bearings
    Paul's VR6-coilover-setup-1-jpg

Step 1 - attach the metal sleeve I got with the coilovers to the top plate
    Paul's VR6-coilover-setup-2-jpg

Step 2 - add the small bearing
    Paul's VR6-coilover-setup-3-jpg

Step 3 - add the large black bearing peice
    Paul's VR6-coilover-setup-4-jpg

Step 4 - would need to add in the final cover plate that i need to get off the car then add that last nut
    Paul's VR6-coilover-setup-5-jpg

Does that all seem about right for these BC Racing Coilovers or is there another nut I need to add in there similar to what the existing shocks have? - seems like I have missed something??

1996 Golf Mk3 VR6
    2006 Golf Mk5 2.0 TDI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast