Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My journey for extra HP in my VR6

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    262 cams, 2.9 clone intake manifold, full metal 3" intake, mk4 air temp sensor, ported exhaust manifolds, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, 3.94 final drive. Done. /thread
    Nice agreed with this one.
    Last edited by Mustillo; 24-04-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug_racer View Post
    Id add Phonelic spacer and LSD to ^ set up as best bang for buck . Then reduce weight like crazy . to remove 300kg isnt so hard .
    Not a bad idea, user root beer had a great N/A thread on another forum, he's managing 12.5 secs to do 402M.!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustillo View Post
    Not a bad idea, user root beer had a great N/A thread on another forum, he's managing 12.5 secs to do 402M.!
    12.43 actually

Yeah, all good ideas, but I'm going to hold out and drive it stock while I save. If I still really want to make more power, I will take the engine out, do the chain, new MkIV headgasket, CAMS, springs, rebuild etc.

Users Country Flag
    262 cams, 2.9 clone intake manifold, full metal 3" intake, mk4 air temp sensor, ported exhaust manifolds, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, 3.94 final drive. Done. /thread
    Plus one for this comment!

Users Country Flag
    Plus 2 for this comment. Hayden has been playing the vw game for a while and has an intimate knowledge of all things mk3. Don't waste your time with other stuff, just do this and save yourself time/money and actually get results
    Mk IV Golf GTI - BMP - GIAC chip, R32 wheels, KW coilovers, rear swaybar.
    Originally Posted by JoeVR
    I've never been a big fan of rotors, or really Japanese cars in general, so my choice would have to be..... an RX-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Plus 2 for this comment. Hayden has been playing the vw game for a while and has an intimate knowledge of all things mk3. Don't waste your time with other stuff, just do this and save yourself time/money and actually get results
    Aw shucks.

Sebs right, lsd with 3.94 is very helpful. But that starts to get to expensive for most people.

Users Country Flag
    I'm yet to source a clutch and flywheel for our cabrio project. Will a lightened flywheel give her more zip and how light?
    No idea what a stock one weighs.
    Mk IV Golf GTI - BMP - GIAC chip, R32 wheels, KW coilovers, rear swaybar.
    Originally Posted by JoeVR
    I've never been a big fan of rotors, or really Japanese cars in general, so my choice would have to be..... an RX-8.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm yet to source a clutch and flywheel for our cabrio project. Will a lightened flywheel give her more zip and how light?
    No idea what a stock one weighs.
    A lightened flywheel will lower the resistance to rotational acceleration (and thus moment of inertia) which will give you more 'zip' or an engine which will rev more freely (quicker). Downside to this is when you're cruising the engine will lose revs quicker because you have less momentum energy from the spinning flywheel as well as a slightly rougher engine feel as the heavier flywheel normally dampens engine vibration to an extent.

A stock VR6 flywheel is 18.5lbs or 8.5kg. A lightweight flywheel weighing around 10lbs or 4.5kg is as low as you would go so anything in the range of 10lbs to 18lbs should give you net gains.

I highly recommend anything from ClutchNet.

Hope this helps,

Tim.
    Last edited by timiteo; 20-04-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Clutchnet stage 5 is the goods. Drives like stock. But when you snap gears, you know it's grabbing.

Autotech 13lb flywheel is cheap and still great for street. Makes the car so much better, vr's are real lathargic with the standard boat anchor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast