Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LankyVW's Silver MK3 Golf Thread.

LankyVW's Silver MK3

Hi. Finally starting work on my Golf, so time for a build thread. Intro first I guess, name is Daniel, 20, still on L plates, decided mid year to get myself a car as a project and to finally start driving and learning manual in (I ride my bike or catch the train everywhere, never really needed a car hence why I've left this so late).

After hunting around a fair bit, ended up buying this '98 silver GL back in June, only had 80,000km's on it, and was still in very good condition after 14 years and a few owners.

At first the plan was to try and do this on the cheap, but after working heaps coming up to christmas decided to splash out a little. Ordered some Borbet Type A's from TunerShop in germany a few weeks back, in 16x7.5 et20. And some CXRacing coilovers from the US last week.

Two of the Borbet's arrived yesterday, the other two got separated on the way over and went for a detour through Asia on the Fedex plane, so they'll be here Monday I believe.

A photo, incase you may have forgotten what Type A's look like.

Really happy with the fit, et20 gives me a touch of poke up the front, and i think the rears will sit flush, so I might get a little spacer for the backs down the track. And the silver centres are a perfect match to the colour of the car, happy with that. Should look rather clean.

And a ****ty test fit pic I took on my phone yesterday arvo.

So thats where I'm up to at the moment.

My right headlight is stuffed and is rattling around, so I'll be getting a working set off Stu soon, as well as his VR6 seats, because being 6'5" in a little car isn't ideal, and VR6 seats apparently drop down lower, cause i'm sitting a little high up at the moment for my likings.
    Once the coilovers arrive i'll be chucking them in and taking it all off somewhere to get tyres fitted and an alignment, which probably wont happen this side of New Years, as the suspension was only posted on the 20th.

Still unsure of what tyres to go with, i'm definitely thinking 45's, as I'll be running the car at 100mm legal height until i'm off my L's, and they'll fill the guards nicer. Just whether I go a 195 or 205. I dunno, some advice there would be great.

Cool beans.

Updated Photo's:

Last edited by LankyVW; 06-05-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Users Country Flag

LankyVW's Silver MK3 Golf Thread.

Drop it on its ass. Go hard or go home.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeeeb View Post
    Drop it on its ass. Go hard or go home.
    Haha I agree with that,

Depends what you want I'm lookin at 205's for my 8" wide wheels, maybe go 195 for a little stretch ? Car looks clean

I'll happily and will be 'dropping it on its gutz' once i'm on my P's, but whilst i'm on my L's with Mum or Dad in the passenger seat its staying at a reasonable height whilst i'm still learning to drive. Seems like the logical thing to do.

P.S. FYI That test fit picture is still with stock suspension, so it'll be much lower than that.
    Last edited by LankyVW; 23-12-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Users Country Flag

LankyVW's Silver MK3 Golf Thread.

How much longer till your off your L's

Quote Originally Posted by Smeeeb View Post
    How much longer till your off your L's
    Haha... Ha... Haaaa.... 8 months...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LankyVW View Post
    Haha... Ha... Haaaa.... 8 months...

Spewin.

Users Country Flag
    it'll be done in no time! Just gives you plenty of hours to tinker hehe
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

Car looks clean! Nice wheels and lowered is all these things need to look good and you've got that covered

195 is my vote for 7.5"

legally, you'd want the 205, but since you're planning on lowering it, you'll want to avoid scrubbing issues, so you'd want to go for the 195 in the respect.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast