Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LankyVW's Silver MK3 Golf Thread.

Users Country Flag

velly nice.

theres a dude in tassy thinking of buying my 2nd VR6.

He has an immac silver Golf MK3 (like yours).
    He has just bought some Borbet wheels from ebay (like yours).
    He is also stretching the tyres and lowering it (like yours).

second brother from another mother??

i think he just joined the forums too....

Quote Originally Posted by Surfpig View Post
    This looks sweet already!

Can you take a shot of the stretch? Im thinking of getting 195/45 for my 8" wheels
    Cheers man.
    Took this shot before it I installed the coils, hence the outrageous wheel gap. The MA-Z1's with the rim guard add to the stretch on 7.5's, without it would be really mild. 195's would look real nice on 8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Really appreciate you buying original wheels straight up. The car looks clean, would definitely get a second glance from many!
    Yeah i'm really glad I splashed out on the Type A's, thought it was worth spending good money now rather than regretting buying reps down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    Wow, not what I was expecting.
    Real wheels and the works! looks good dude, even at that height for the moment.
    Not what my wallet was expecting either!
    That's just above legal height too, front lip is 120mm if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    All the cool kids have silver Mk3's.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by decksla View Post
    velly nice.

theres a dude in tassy thinking of buying my 2nd VR6.

He has an immac silver Golf MK3 (like yours).
    He has just bought some Borbet wheels from ebay (like yours).
    He is also stretching the tyres and lowering it (like yours).

second brother from another mother??

i think he just joined the forums too....
    Hahaha, what a coincidence. Only other silver mk3 I've seen with them was a vento with a staggered set on vwvortex.

Updates?

Updates?
    I'll get some pics and whatnot tomorrow. Have just chipping away at little jobs to get it in a somewhat respectable state for ILV.

Update time, yay.
    Still on uni holidays so I've been slowly working away at the golf. Not too much to show for myself, but here's an update as requested by Mr. Woody.

First up was to fill the holes in my rear windscreen after removing my spoiler when I put in the coilovers. Picked up some black acrylic caulking stuff from Bunnings for a few dollars to do the job. Turns out once dried its more of a grey, which is annoying, but its only really noticeable in harsh light. Still looks cleaner than a grommet/plug though IMO.

The car came with a head unit which had an AUX input but was silver and looked like alien ****. So I painter the outer rim of it black to make it more bearable. Might pick up one of those cheap all black jaycar head units down the track.

As the coilovers started to settle my rear left tyre started to rub over bumps more and more. Solution? $120 guard roller off ebay. Didn't mind forking out for the proper tool to do it, even though they look like a kindergarten toy.
    So after a bit of advice on how to go about it (Cheers Ben and others), I spent nearly all of last weekend prepping and rolling the guards.
    So using a wire brush and an ancient power drill from the depths of our garage (new battery drill wasn't up to the job) all the rubber was finally removed from the rear lip, and boy was there a lot of it. Then masked everything off and primed the inside of the guard lip before rolling them. And the fronts I just cut out a section of the liner with my dremel, as instructed by Ray's tutorial.
    Really happy with how my first shot at guard rolling went, hardly any cracked paint and no **** ups, just did it nice and slow with the heat gun.
    Once I'd done rolling each guard I ran some of that black caulking sealant along the top of each folded lip to try to prevent any water building up in there. Then dropped the car another 10-15mm on the front and rear. All test driven with no rubbing!
    And whilst I had the rear jacked up we took it as an opportunity to centre the rear axle, which fixed the extra poke on the left side, yay. Heaps of room to move in my rear arches now, which I'll be fixing before ILV with some spacers.

Still haven't done much to the engine appart from a little maintenance and cleaning. I guess an engine swap would be nice at some point down the track. But for now I think I might just do the airbox mod, and maybe a suitcase delete.

And that's it. Have been riding more than driving lately after getting a new mtb. But 6 months 'till i'm 21 and licence time, and i'm nearly on 50 hours on my L's.

Users Country Flag
    that looks sweet as!!

wanna rent out your guard roller one of these days?

Good man! Roof racks soon for ya pushi?

Good man! Roof racks soon for ya pushi?
    Yeah I'm just waiting for some Thule 404's to pop up for sale. Unless you'd recommend something else decent?

Quote Originally Posted by decksla View Post
    that looks sweet as!!

wanna rent out your guard roller one of these days?
    Can do! Shoot me a PM if you like, otherwise I can bring it to ILV if anyone wants to borrow it.
    Last edited by LankyVW; 13-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyVW View Post
    Yeah I'm just waiting for some Thule 404's to pop up for sale. Unless you'd recommend something else decent?
    404's are the onlyw ay to got for a Mk3. Good man!

Nearly 8 months since my last update...
    WHO LIKES PHOTO DUMPS?!

Not a whole lot's been done, mainly maintenance stuff. New rocker cover gasket and new coolant fittings too fix some little leaks earlier in the year. I got my license in August, so have been enjoying the novelty of driving to Uni. More recently after a couple attempts, spacers and bolts for the rears, new headlight to solve smashed internals, smoked/clear side indicators. And also Thule 404's and two Thule Outride 561's for my several bicycles.

A quick snap after a solo sesh out at Lysterfiled.

After a failed set of ECS spacers, got some custom Adaptec's made up.

#alittlebitflush

That's all the shots I can find pre-GAD, hang tight whilst I write up another post for GAD.
    Last edited by LankyVW; 06-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    SILVER '98 MKIII GOLF GL // BORBET TYPE A's
    YELLOW '76 B1 PASSAT LS WAGON
    WHITE '07 MKV JETTA 2.0 TFSI
    FLICKR

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast