Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hello i have a 96 red 5 speed golf cabriolet

Users Country Flag

hello i have a 96 red 5 speed golf cabriolet

Hi All

We now have 3 VWs in the family as of yesterday. My son and I first got a 71 1600cc Kombi we have been restoring for 2 years now , loved it so much I went and bought myself a 76 Kombi powered by a subie EJ25 and saving money using dual gas.

I have enjoyed learning about VWs on the kombi club for a while now. So the time came to get my daughter her first car. I kept looking at Hyundai excels but the 1996 VW golf cabriolet popped up at the right price, so I grabbed it for her.

I assume I should post pics not sure how to do that, is it like KombiClub where I just copy from a Photbucket account?

Anyway its first problem is a Hot start problem and I guess i should post that in another thread

Paul

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Hi All

Sorry I could not see how to make a new thread so I will just reply to this one

the gent I bought the 96 golf cabriolet from told me it often woud not start when it was hot. ( there is a lot of stuff on the web on this)
    I just picked the golf up yesterday .

I cannot get it to kick over at all. Starter and battety both a real strong. I cannot see spark at the output of the coil or High tension lead at the dizzy.
    I am not sure what I should expect at the low voltage side of the coil pack?
    Can anyone give me some hints?

thanks paul

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the forum Paul,
    ignition coil is a common problem on mk3 golf,
    i would say that is your problem and they do get high temperature effected.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    mate thanks for the welcome and quick reply!

You have also told me an answer before I asked it - I now know I have a Mk3!

is there is a good place in brisbane for MK3 parts?

thanks paul

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Welcome to the forum Paul,
    ignition coil is a common problem on mk3 golf,
    i would say that is your problem and they do get high temperature effected.

I did some research the part is a 6N0905104 Ignition coil. Austral VW parts quoted me $448.

Amazon USA have it at $20 plus $34=$54 takes up to 16 days to get to me

A place in melbourne had one for $100 sent to me in 2 days

I went the $100 route

all I can say is that there is some healthy mark ups in parts!

what is the best maintenance book to buy for a 96 golf cabrio?

I hope some mod will let me know if I am not posting in the correct section? I am aware I am continuing by reply to my own Newbie thread

========

can someone reccomend a good place to buy golf parts from? I am in brisbane

we replaced the Coil , that did not fix it , the mechanic so far found the ECU relay part no.165 906 381 was faulty. we could not get one on the weekend. looking again monday morning

if I am to buy a book for mk3 96 cabrio maintenance which one would you recommend?
    I am not sure which ones address aussie vehicles the best?

I use the bentley for my kombis and that has been good,
    here is a golf one

Amazon.com: Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI: 1993-1999 Cabrio: 1995-2002 Service Manual (9780837603667): Bentley Publishers, Robert Bentley Inc.: Books

what about haynes?

Haynes Publications 96017 Repair Manual | eBay

chilton?
    Amazon.com: Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, and Cabriolet, 1990-98 (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manuals) (9780801991226): Chilton: Books

well here is the cabrio, the paintwork is a real red , I think my phone camera makes it look a little washed out

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Hi ALL Need Some help please

I bought this car knowing it had a hot start problem. The mobile mechanic came to my house and we have replaced the ECU relay , the coil and the complete dizzy with hall sensor in it. Now the fault has at least changed to 'not start at all'

when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump go for a couple of seconds however i cannot see any spark at the spark plugs

Any ideas anyone?
    thx paul

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

what about the crank sensor?
    I have not replaced that

can that prevent spark at the plugs?

Users Country Flag
    Hi Paul, might be best to get a VW specalist to take a look at that. It'll save a lot of mucking about with guess work.

Jimmy Mac is the go to guy in your neighborhood and he's mobile.

His contact details - Alba European- 0423965341. He'll be able to plug into the ECU and extract the fault codes.

The Bentley is by far the best of the manuals, I wouldn't bother with the others.

I'll bump this thread across to the MK3 section where more people will see it.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

peter

thanks for the reply and the post move

coincidence- In fact I got his business card today from the guys at highway VW when I picked up the new dizzy
    I wil give him a call soon

thx paul

Users Country Flag
    niiiiiiiice! Another mk3 Cabriolet! Local too! Good to see I'm new to the 4cylinder world of vw so I can't help with the issues but good luck with it Jimmy is a busy man so good luck with that :p Top bloke though.....

hey KI11Z
    thansk for the note

Jim is a busy man but kind enough to call me today to see how he can help

Good news the red cabrio is up and going, many issues but the final fix was a new camshaft sensor, the wires were very frayed at the sensor end

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast