Support VWWC

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: gettin' ma tan onn....

No worries mate, they're pretty good with customer service so I expect to know very soon.

Users Country Flag
    good work boys! Glad to see you've kept the Cab Alex
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Shiiit the ulimate detail toowoombarian style !!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    Top stuff, mate! Didn't know you had another Mk3! You've been holding out on me.
    haha, sorry preenz, no biggie, it's not really a build thread just a tidy-up with light mods and maintenance for a funky cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfMan View Post
    good work boys! Glad to see you've kept the Cab Alex
    until something else catches my eye, thinking an audi is on the cards next....

Quote Originally Posted by KKK VR6 View Post
    Shiiit the ulimate detail toowoombarian style !!
    haha, love it :p

So here's a poor update though issues i found may be of great use to some of you!

I tackled the water pump and coolant bubble replacement, although the pump outlet shown below had corroded and expanded the joining pipe making it non-reusable (I tried and it leaked) A local parts shop matched the pipe with that off a land cruiser, I cut it to size and fitted it up with new clamps....

Part number of the whole pipe assembly if you want to order it is 037122058.

THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO EVERYONE! IF THIS SENSOR FAILS, YOUR ENGINE WILL CUT/NOT START. CHECK YOURS.........

YOU'RE BEST FIXING IT/REPLACING IT NOW BEFORE YOU GET STRANDED SOMEWHERE....

Whilst I was in the bay I noticed some crumbly wires that led to the crank (engine speed) sensor; they were so brittle that when i touched them the wires became totally exposed!..... so turns out, to remove the sensor I had to remove the front engine mount bracket the following is what I was faced with, The entire cable was eff'd .......I rang around but no one had one in stock and was quoted $160+...... So I repaired it by cutting, heat shrinking, soldering, tubing and taping.....

The black wire I had already started repairing......

And the obligatory new bubble and pink goodness picture...

Last edited by KI11Z; 25-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

been through changing that sensor! its one bitch of a job haha.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by KI11Z View Post
    THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO EVERYONE! IF THIS SENSOR FAILS, YOUR ENGINE WILL CUT/NOT START. CHECK YOURS.........

YOU'RE BEST FIXING IT/REPLACING IT NOW BEFORE YOU GET STRANDED SOMEWHERE....

Whilst I was in the bay I noticed some crumbly wires that led to the crank (engine speed) sensor; they were so brittle that when i touched them the wires became totally exposed!..... so turns out, to remove the sensor I had to remove the front engine mount bracket the following is what I was faced with, The entire cable was eff'd .......I rang around but no one had one in stock and was quoted $160+...... So I repaired it by cutting, heat shrinking, soldering, tubing and taping.....
    I had the same problem when I had my 8V! So annoying. Ended up getting a decent second hand one and taped it up. Ran sweet afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ffoff View Post
    been through changing that sensor! its one bitch of a job haha.
    lol, the sensor job isn't THAT bad, i'd just almost lost my motivation for it after doing the coolant system .....

Quote Originally Posted by rayray086 View Post
    I had the same problem when I had my 8V! So annoying. Ended up getting a decent second hand one and taped it up. Ran sweet afterwards.
    when I googled it, your thread on here came up :p

small update, hopefully other cabby owners can confirm with me, but since i've bought the car, the hydraulic roof has never worked....

I've sourced and imported a replacement pump with lines, switch and have replaced my relay twice...... nothing has worked and in a last ditch effort to have it fixed, I took it into my local Volkswagen dealer to have it fixed regardless of the price....

so they charged me for 2hrs labour only to tell me my relay needs replacing and it'll cost me $200 to replace, to which I said that i've replaced the relay already and so they asked to hold the car for longer for further investigation..... at $150 an hour I said no and took the car, roof still not working and $300 out of pocket

My dad's a retired electrical engineer and I had him check over the relay today.....

TURNS OUT THE ****ING ROOF HAS ALWAYS WORKED AND I HAD NEVER DONE THE PROCEDURE RIGHT!!

IT GOES AGAINST ALL I'VE READ SO CAN OTHER CABBY OWNERS CONFIRM WITH THIS PROCEDURE ON GETTING THEIR ROOF TO WORK PLEASE......

Hand brake on, car in neutral, BUT then I need to switch it to ignition and then back off, and then use the roof switch.....??

i've never read anywhere to have to switch it back off again?

I feel like a ****, however I stormed back to my local dealer and gave them a rev! full refund has been given but still such poor service.... If I didn't know any better they would've ordered and replaced the relay + labour + more labour to "diagnose" further as to why the roof still doesn't work..... never again will I use a dealer.....

That's a prick of a damn thing. Least you got your dollars back.

Hopefully you can look back on it have a laugh..

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast