Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW MK2 Heater core parts advice

VW MK2 Heater core parts advice

After my windows fogging up and cabin filling with steam I now know its time to bite the bullet and change my heater core.

I am looking at replacement units on ECS tuning. Genuince replacement part comes in at $133- where as there is another aftermarket one for $40- . My question is; is the additional $90- for a genuine replacement worth it?! Or has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    I'd go for the genuine one, less hassle in the long run as it is probably better quality & less likely to be leaky.

At the end of the day how many times do you fancy taking your dash apart?

Users Country Flag
    looking at the part numbers on ECS website it seems they only list the LHD models. The RHD one should start with 1H2 instead of 1H1 I believe.
    Id price one up locally or from the UK. Theyre not so expensive that the difference in price after shipping should be so relevant

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Cheers for the advice. Good pickup on the LHD and RHD Tim!!! In regards to a local pickup, will a VW dealer be sufficient?

Users Country Flag
    you can only ask them. There are a few other smaller VAG spare parts dealers in vic. Perhaps hit up google and have a ring around.
    Matt at Camden GTI up in sydney might be able to sort you out as well?

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    I've got one that's been sitting in my garage for 2 years, new in its box (can't remember who made it, i'll check when i get home), if you want it.

Users Country Flag
    Makes me reconsider wether the repro heater core I bought is worth putting in.
    About the only area on my dash that hasn't been pulled apart/dismantled is the heat core area!
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

Users Country Flag
    I got an Ibiza GTI one off Matt which is supposed to be better than the MK2 one. I then ruined it using local tap water which rusted the intake pipe and it fell off after only 3 months.

Lesson learnt - use lots of glycol.

Cheers

Paul

Managed to source a new one through Sth Yarra VW. Parts department have been super helpful over the last few years and would definately recommend.

Anyway might be a bit pricey, but at least I know its genuine. $221 + gst and should be there tommorow!

That sounds right. I had my dash out and realized my gap core was LHD and wouldn't fit....got the genuine part from vw for $240 including GST....FYI the quality comparison between the cheap unit and the real deal was significant when they were compared

This is a pain in the ass job, next to a respray and engine swap it must rank 3rd in pita jobs on a mk2....go the real deal

Dave
    1990 MK2 GTI
    2009 MY10 Tiguan 147
    2010 MK6 GTI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast