Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Mk2 Exhaust Manifold question

Users Country Flag

VW Mk2 Exhaust Manifold question

Hey Guys,
    I'm just wondering how hard it is to change the exhaust manifold. Is it a massive job or could I attempt it at home? I know the bolts are known to seize but apart from that is there anything else that I might need a shop or hoist for? Are there any guides around?

Also should I be going for a 4-2-1 or 4-1 route or just a change to a MK3 manifold? And if I do get a new manifold, can I order one from the US or UK?

I'm just running a V8 1.8 auto. Just looking to get a little extra poke.

Thanks
    Last edited by JAYISK; 27-05-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991
    VW MK3 Vento 1995 Daily Driver

2. You will need to change the downpipe to get any gains from a new manifold....changing the manifold itself is pretty easy...i did it from under the car mostly... the top bolts you can get with a long extension bit. Doing the rest of the exhaust to suite the new downpipe and manifold yourself could be a challenge

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    The 4-2-1 manifold is better for torque and all round drivability. The 4-1 suits higher revs which is why the race cars run them.

The MK3 2 litre manifold is a good upgrade but be careful, the 2 litre motor is 16mm taller than the 1.6 or 1.8 so the manifold is 16mm longer and may hit your steering rack.

The best upgrade would be to fit a MK3 2.0 motor and a 5 speed manual gearbox. That's what I had in my white MK2 (which I wrote off) and it was a great car to drive. Not real quick but quick enough to hassle a few cars and turn it into a fun car. I was going to fit the motor and gearbox to my red MK2 which is an auto but I'm probably going to sell the car now that I have a Bora for daily driving.

Are you still running the standard suspension? It doesn't take much to turn the MK2 into a great handling car that is magic through roundabouts.

Cheers

Paul

I agree with Paul. I have the mk3 2.0 downpipe etc on the 1.8 8v engine. If you want to keep the factory mufflers, simply cut off the inlet of mid muffler and weld a 2" 50 degree bend on it, then use a 2" pipe to join it with a mk3 2.0 cat.

It's easier to take off intake manifold first. The exhaust bolts are very likely to stuck with the studs. Make sure you get some new studs for the cylinder head side.
    Last edited by hahne; 03-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for all the tips.

Would it be better for me to order a manifold, gasket and bolts and then take them to an exhaust shop? Or can they make up something?

I've also read on this forum that some overseas manifolds won't clear the steering due to them being LHD.

I was thinking of doing the 2L bottom end upgrade from my Vento lol or just by another 2L bottom end. I was talking to Brian from Galston GTI about that ages ago. Couldn't I just do this upgrade and keep the auto gear box?

The suspension is still stock and I think it handles great around roundabouts, I did a coil over upgrade on the Vento and that handle great now too, no more nose diving on hard braking. Would coilovers or a new suspension change it that much?

I'll keep all these responses as a reference in case I need to show an exhaust guy
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991

Thanks mate, I'll make sure I have the right tools if I attempt this at home
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991

Quote Originally Posted by red16vgti View Post
    You will need to change the downpipe to get any gains from a new manifold....changing the manifold itself is pretty easy...i did it from under the car mostly... the top bolts you can get with a long extension bit. Doing the rest of the exhaust to suite the new downpipe and manifold yourself could be a challenge

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, I'll make sure I have the right tools if I attempt this at home
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991

Hey Guys,
    I'm having trouble trying to get anyone to assist with changing the manifold

I have taken it to a few places and they are happy to do the down pipe but none of them seem to want to do the manifold change as they have all been saying the sub frame needs to be removed.

Does anyone know anyone in Sydney that might be able to help with the job?

Jason
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991

Users Country Flag
    Give Camden GTI a call - 02 4627 3072

Thank you, i'll give them a try.
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast