Thread: Thermal Fan sensor not working as it should after MK3 alternator and Aircon upgrade

Users Country Flag

Thermal Fan sensor not working as it should after MK3 alternator and Aircon upgrade

Hey Guys,

I have recently upgraded my car to a MK3 alternator and Air Compressor with a serpintine belt setup and it is working great so far.

However because I have flipped the radiator over to allow space for a MK3 alternator and Air compressor, the position of the thermal fan sensor is all the way at the top of the radiator instead of down the bottom. I'm guessing the the coolant is not reaching that section of the radiator and thus not triggering the fans to run. Any tips on getting the coolant to fill to top of the radiator? If I prop up one side of the car with a jack, i think it forces coolant to the top left hand side where the sensor is now located and triggers it and runs as it should, however this doesn't seem to happen when i have the car leveled Any advice would be appreciated.
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991
    VW MK3 Vento 1995 Daily Driver

Users Country Flag

You'll have to reposition the sensor. Currently any air in your system will collect at the top of the radiator and negate the sensor.

You might be able to find one you can fit inside the bottom radiator hose.