Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.

QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.

Hi guys,

As I'm new to this scene of the euro/golfs i am need of some knowledge from the experts.
    Currently my 1990 MK2 GTI 3 speed auto is making some horrendous rattling sound once warmed up and under load(especially hills). The research i have done into this is presuming the tappets/hydraulic lifters are shot or blocked..
    This noise all started happening after i had all the belts done and a general service. I was told 10w/40 oil was put in and then told if i were to increase the thickness of the oil it would change the rattling.. I haven't done this yet but am curious if it is that easy… Surely not.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

In the mean time i shall attach some photos and show the progress of my little build thus far, have only added cheap coil overs to stiffen it up and accommodate the wheels I put on. Started with a set of BBS RS reps (17x8.5 +20) which were WAY to aggressive but did look and sit pretty. But now have upgraded to a set of Mtechnica Turbo's (16x8 +15) which i cannot wait to get onto this thing, as I'm in America for the next 5 weeks she is sitting in the car port on the little 15's it came with.
    I do have big plans for this little one but would like it running a bit smoother as it is my daily driver! Even though i cannot simply help myself to add that stance/unique look to it.

Hopefully get to meet some of you guys or see and hear about other builds and learn all about these awesome little cars!

Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    If the engine is quiet when cold and gets noisy when warm then it sounds like the oil is the problem. Short term fix is thicker oil but you'll need to do something about the tappets in the future. Engines are cheap, I recommend getting a 2 litre and 5 speed from a MK3 to get the performance up a bit. While you're there, get the hubs and brakes. it's a good upgrade over the small disks that these cars come with.

16's are the best size, 17's only look good with ultra low profile rubber and dropped into the weeds. Not somithing you want to do with a daily.

I use mine as a daily, doing over 1000ks per week and it's a great car. Rough, noisy and sometimes a pain but more smiles per k than any other car I've owned.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks a heap Paul! I will certainly look into that!

Users Country Flag
    If hydraulic lifter is worn, wouldn't be other way round ? i.e. noisy when cold, noise go away when hot. At least that how it was in my Mk2.

Users Country Flag
    My MK2 would sometimes make lifter chatter when hot (was using cheap 10w40 though) and made almost no bad sounds cold.
    Changed to decent 15w50 and all good now

As Paul said, MK3 2L 5spds are abundant and cheap.
    BTW is that a legitimate Evo 10 in the background?
    Last edited by ryana89; 10-12-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMk2Gti View Post
    If hydraulic lifter is worn, wouldn't be other way round ? i.e. noisy when cold, noise go away when hot. At least that how it was in my Mk2.
    Sometimes the wear is borderline, no noise when the oil is thick and cold but when it warms up and gets thinner things start to slip and rattle.

First thing i shall be doing when i get back is getting that oil changed and seeing how it goes! Will also be looking into the 2L 5spd option as well as possibly vr6 potentially.
    And yes thats my Evo 10, the very fun toy.

Quote Originally Posted by ryana89 View Post
    My MK2 would sometimes make lifter chatter when hot (was using cheap 10w40 though) and made almost no bad sounds cold.
    Changed to decent 15w50 and all good now

As Paul said, MK3 2L 5spds are abundant and cheap.
    BTW is that a legitimate Evo 10 in the background?

Users Country Flag
    Are you aware there's a MK2 in Perth that eats Evo's in motorkanas?

Given a bit of time and money you might be refining your opinion of which car is your fun toy.

I was unaware! Will have to have a look at that haha

And perhaps it will! They're the two cars i have always wanted. So at this time in life pretty stoked.
    Big plans for both of them this year regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Are you aware there's a MK2 in Perth that eats Evo's in motorkanas?

Given a bit of time and money you might be refining your opinion of which car is your fun toy.

Users Country Flag

Read the last post on this page to find out what a quick MK2 can do.

It Begins: The S3 1.8T into my '85 Mk2 GTI

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast