Support VWWC

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Salkow View Post
    Yep have replaced the blue temp sender and still notice my flashing coolant light comes on even though its running what appears to be very cool? Does not go past the second bar on the gauge.
    Have checked the alternator voltage and pretty sure thats what it shows. I will check again and post what i find though.
    Being a little bit confusing thats for sure.. Leaning towards maybe biting the bullet and getting a new ICV though being $200+..
    Mate, it took me a couple of years and a whole lot of coolant to realise it was under dash earth for clocks. The coolant light circuit is on the clocks and the voltage drop of the bad earth triggers the coolant light. I could be wrong, but if your clocks seem dim at night and fluctuatge, then its the same issue as mine, Mk2 90, Alpine white

Check the hex bolt clamping the steering column is tight and theres a ground point on the drivers side pillar nd a earth buss under the dash that you should check connections

Quote Originally Posted by blis View Post
    Mate, it took me a couple of years and a whole lot of coolant to realise it was under dash earth for clocks. The coolant light circuit is on the clocks and the voltage drop of the bad earth triggers the coolant light. I could be wrong, but if your clocks seem dim at night and fluctuatge, then its the same issue as mine, Mk2 90, Alpine white

Check the hex bolt clamping the steering column is tight and theres a ground point on the drivers side pillar nd a earth buss under the dash that you should check connections
    Okay i might have a look around today as I'm not at work currently. I don't think my dash seems to dim or fluctuate during the evening with lights on but i certainly know the MFA display does not work. The little LCD screen is blank all the time.
    Thanks for that though and i will keep posted.
    -Mk2 golf GTI

QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.

Bit of a further update.

Cars been running great except still those cold starts being quite harsh and juddering.
    Still narrowing down to the ICV which hopefully I can locate one soon.
    Took it out for a big burn on the weekend and came home to find the front coolant flange was leaking from the lower bung/plug.
    Tried retrofitting some stuff to sort out leak but didn't work.. Now have siliconed the bung and will see if that can hold up for a bit.
    Need to do a bit of a order for new parts such as engine mounts and possibly these flanges and new O rings for them.
    Bugs me to because I just poured a whole heap of new coolant in after the 500kms of running on water to bed the head gasket! QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.QLD: Noisy rattling MK2 engine / Intro into the MK2 scene.

Also still cannot for the life of me work out the coolant light flashing.. Have sprayed almost every grounding and elec contact with contact cleaner but no change. Hmmmmm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Mk2 golf GTI

Users Country Flag
    I just changed the coolant flange on mine. You can buy them brand new from the Dealership. Only cost me $50 including all the o-rings.

Users Country Flag
    try disconnecting the coolant sensor from reservoir. then short it to prevent open circuit and ensure it is the coolant level

it could be just overheating.. see water pump/thermostat/fan

Well here i am again… Been a good run for a while! But of course wheres the fun in not having car troubles…!
    Had my work ute taken off me so decided to give the golf a decent run out to ipswich yesterday. Got there no worries and she was going great! Until the drive home… Started to notice a clunky/tapping sound at certain revs on deceleration and maybe on a slight turning angle. This is all coming from what sounds to be the front right where the belts or front right wheel is.
    I have had a poke around and checked wheel bolts and the cv boot to see if anything looks suss. But nothing out of the ordinary..
    Have driven it around casually and it has gotten substantially louder on slow deceleration speeds/revs.
    Any ideas what this can be?
    Wondering if the engine mounts are so shot that they could be causing this issue. About to drive it around the corner to a mechanic to ask these questions and hopefully demonstrate it.
    -Mk2 golf GTI

Quick resolution wheel bearing was a bit loose!
    Time for some new wheel bearings it appears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Mk2 golf GTI

Users Country Flag
    The nut to hold on the wheel bearing has to be as tight as you can get it. I use a piece of pipe about 2 metres long over the end of the ratchet. The best I heard of was a 3 metre bar with 4 guys on it.

You can't over tighten it

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    You can't over tighten it
    x2 with Paul.
    Get your fattest mate/neighbor/family member to stand on the biggest extension you can find.
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

It's absolutely killing me trying to work out this cold start issue!
    Starts fine, drops a bit in idle due to what i think is lack of voltage(battery light is on sometimes on start up, press accelerator and disappears). Test voltage and all seems fine… Have replaced the ICV, Blue temp sensor and really don't know where to go from now.
    Runs rough until car becomes warm, almost sounds as if car is camming then will just rev up a touch and smooth right out.
    ANYONE experienced this before? Don't know what to doooooooooooo!
    -Mk2 golf GTI

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast