Support VWWC

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 2dr Project Car (1.8t swap)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ozgti View Post
    Interesting... I'll have to check if mine has a knee bar.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks, guessing you have a mk3 dash in yours? Not much mounts to it other than the steering column. Haven't actually thought about not using it... just thought it would be best to use strength wise!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Are uoi swapping mk3 dash in?

Quote Originally Posted by ozgti View Post
    Are uoi swapping mk3 dash in?

Yea, my mk2 interior is all a bit dodgy and i like the idea of having all the buttons for cruise control and AC etc looking OEM. Thats why I hope to maintain the mk3 look inside.

Mk2 dashes didn't have a knee bar, mk3's do. I trust that the germans put it in for a reason haha. Got too much OCD to not put it in unless someone can talk me out of it Mk2 2dr Project Car (1.8t swap)

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Update: 12/01/2021

Dash temporarily in. Looks a good height and lines up with the knee bar well. Did a fair bit of chopping today, had to trim the dash back a fair bit on the sides and at the back. Simply separated the dash material from the hard plastic mould and just attacked the dash where necessary. Didn't cut any of the dash material, just the plastic. Some of the pipework will need to be fibreglassed as I had to cut it back a little, especially the windscreen pipes! A dremel or die grinder is an awesome tool for this job. Was it a fun job? No. Is it totally worth it? Yup Mk2 2dr Project Car (1.8t swap) I reckon the dash was in and out 30 times.

Tomorrow I'll patch where I've chopped and add a strengthening piece in the bulkhead. Then can begin wiring, body deadener sheets, interior, so much to do! But its turning more and more into a car, so must be something right!

Last edited by Weeman; 08-09-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

What's happening with the mk2 dash? Was it cracked?

Na practically mint, just very dusty lol. Heres a pic, I put it in today just to see how it looked.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Update: 15/01/2021

Been upto lots and lots, finished welding brackets and figured out how much steering column needed to be extended (can't be bothered explaining but mk3 spline is different to mk2). I definitely don't want to extend this piece with welding due to the torsion in it so will leave it to another time. Added knee bar bracket to exhaust tunnel, resprayed over all my scratches, rust-proofed the knee bar, pulled the loom out of the vr6 (ended up just cutting huge holes through the firewall cause I wasn't interested in pulling stuff out of the fusebox), put some body deadener down, lots of grommets put in and wiring.

Just bought a house, moving in in a couple weeks and its definitely gonna suck all my time out this year so hopefully I can still balance between the two throughout the year!

Thomas

Last edited by Weeman; 08-09-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Users Country Flag
    Looking good as always.

The MK2 dash is worth a few $ so don't sell it cheap.

Update: 1/04/2021

@sports racer yea I'll be hanging onto it till I find the right buyer, hopefully someone in Tas is interested down the track.

Bought a T4 van, its my dads van hes had since new and he had to upgrade to something new so I couldn't say no to buying it. Only 120000k's and basically immaculate condition. No plans for it, and I'm still wanting to keep the mk3 grocery getter so will be good for camping and moving stuff. But yes I now own 5 VW's, when will it stop? Never!

Setup my workspace in the new house, now just waiting for a bit of time to move the VR6 shell and the 2 door up into the garage and I can get crackin on with it!

Cheers,
    Thomas

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Wicked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast