Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 2dr Project Car (1.8t swap)

where in tassie are you located? I might be interested in some parts from the donor car

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I travel between Launceston and Hobart often but the donor is in Hobart

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

​sent you a PM

Don’t get BC’s. Spend the little extra and get V2’s or Bilsteins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok cheers Mk2 2dr Project Car (1.8t swap)

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Update: 21/03/2020

Righto its been a while again and I can't figure out how to change the title of this thread but there has been a major change...
    Due to lack of 1.8t's going around in Tassie, I have somehow got myself a Vr6 even though they are rarer (thanks to Mick from up north of Tas), and if im being honest, im happier about this than a 1.8t. Good little car, downside is it is misfiring on cylinder one, checked the ignition coil and its still sparking so is either in the top of engine or a sensor is causing it to go spaz. I do have the fault codes for it so if anyone knows lots about the 12v, let me know and I can send them through.
    I'm keen to swap basically everything from the vr6 to the mk2. All suspension, brakes, fuel tank, whole wiring loom, and yea whatever else. I will even possibly try to do a dash swap as the vr6 is in very good condition compared to my mk2 one. I'm keen to get the wide track on it. Also I noticed the headlights look great on it and were purchased brand new in about 2010 (I think, i have the receipt) so if anyone wants, pm me, they were about 400ish...

Todays progress was just doing a fair bit more looking, testing the engine and also got the front fender area in primer and will get hammertone tomorrow. Had to patch and little bit which had rusted out.

I will take my current suspension off the mk2 and yea not sure what ill do with that. Keep it aside. Shame i put the effort into it/money.

Anyways. Happy with the change of plans and keen to get the swap underway.

Cheers,
    -Thomas

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Good call. VR6 MK2 is good fun.

Use a spray bottle and mist water onto the coil pack at night/in the dark to see if there are any tiny cracks in the unit, they are a common drama.

Short of that leads and plugs, 12v is nice and bare bones. Only real sensor issue you’ll ever have is the crank sensor going bad.

Users Country Flag
    Make sure you get that VR running properly in the donor. Before you fit it into the mk2. Would be really sad if there was something drastic wrong with it.

@HaydEn the plugs and leads are fine as we saw them spark so ignition coil is good. So yes hopefully its either a crankshaft sensor or something. Otherwise I'm ok if its a top end rebuild.

@h100vw yes thats the plan, bit annoying cause the parts will take a while to arrive plus I cannot find a rebuild kit from google so bit confused there.. but will hopefully have it sorted out. Might swap the rear suspension in but will have to wait on front.

Cheers

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

The coilpack can work intermittently. Just because it’s sparking when you check, doesn’t mean it will be when it’s fighting to spark in the chamber.

Crank angle sensor will shut the motor off when it’s hot, and only restart when it’s cooled down.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast