Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mk2 16V vin code decoding / authenticity

mk2 16V vin code decoding / authenticity

hey ,any mk2ers out there that help verify whether a 88 16V is the genuine deal? The engine is a genuine KR but I am trying to find out if the car was built as a 16V or a 8V with transplant.
    I have NO option codes to go by only a VIN and serial number and every decoder fails to recognise the fifth letter engine code Z ...full VIN is WVWZZZ19ZJW432631
    cheers simon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicspacepuppy View Post
    hey ,any mk2ers out there that help verify whether a 88 16V is the genuine deal? The engine is a genuine KR but I am trying to find out if the car was built as a 16V or a 8V with transplant.
    I have NO option codes to go by only a VIN and serial number and every decoder fails to recognise the fifth letter engine code Z ...full VIN is WVWZZZ19ZJW432631
    cheers simon
    That Z is a space filler I am pretty sure.

Where's this 16V, there's lots of subtle differences between an 8 and 16V GTI. Most rip offs wouldn't go to the trouble of doing everything.

All RHD 16Vs I have seen in the UK have sunroofs, a 16V badge on the glovebox, bee sting aerial, 140mph speedo, tinted windows, nearly all had 256mm front brakes. Plus a heap of other things.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,
    thx for all this , the car is in QLD, formally NSW where it was imported from UK, oak green, 88 two door and has sunroof, glovebox badge, bee sting aerial, 140 MPH speedo ( but my 8V has this and the sunroof !) and I agree with your logic , good point. Unsure about the tint and I didn't know about the 256 mm discs so thats a good point and very helpful, thx mate. It also has the 15 inch BBS wheels and I know for a fact apart from 16V they were only on the really late run out 8V's so I think its the real deal ???cheers simon
    Last edited by atomicspacepuppy; 18-01-2015 at 05:28 PM.

I'm pretty sure all 16v 2 door have electric windows also ,so if the door trims doesn't have blanking plugs where winders used to be that's a good sign , I'm pretty sure central locking was standard also on 16v , aerial, speedo , glovebox badge already mentioned , is the sticker in the boot about 4 inch square white paper (it will have vin no and eng no in it) will confirm all your queries

All UK mk2 GTI have sunroofs. , all big door window (88 on) 16v have 256mm front brakes and bigger input spline on clutch (not that you can see that) .
    89 Mk2 3dr GTI , tornado red , 20V Turbo - weekend sleeper WRX eater 😃 , work in progress .

IN boot , and service book , but if u have that it will be a miracle
    mk2 16V vin code decoding / authenticity-image-jpg
    89 Mk2 3dr GTI , tornado red , 20V Turbo - weekend sleeper WRX eater 😃 , work in progress .

Users Country Flag
    Just to add, 8000 rpm tacho too on 16v's.
    (7000 on 8v)
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

Hey ryana89 Thx for this - another spec I wasntnt aware off .... I'll check it

Hi f320kty , I have this in the boot and manual of my 8v but unfortunately both missing in the 16v I'm looking at , re the windows and locking great Thx I'll check it out . very much appreciated .

Have you tried the be museum website ? I know you can get a certificate saying what your car is and when it was built etc . Not sure if it says model specifics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast