Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodey's daily Mk2 GTI

Users Country Flag

Goodey's daily Mk2 GTI

Hey All,

Figured I would make a thread for my "new" Mk2 to share it's progress and to keep track of everything.
    Anyways I bought the car off martinijosh here on the forums and it's nice to be able to see the car history of the time he owned it.

First time driving a Mk2 GTI and must say it drives pretty well, the car doesn't feel at all fast by any means but this will be my daily car so I suppose I can overlook that for now. The paint is in good condition (minus the front right guard damage).The clutch travel and disengage point is pretty different to my RX7 so that will take some getting used to and it feels a lot lighter. The silverline coilovers feel pretty good. Josh mentioned in his thread that the brakes feel spongy and weak in the first part of the pedal travel, they definitely work but it takes a lot of travel to engage them so I suspect they either need bleeding and a fluid top up or the master cylinder wasn't upgraded when the bigger mk3 front brakes were installed, either way it's on my to do list. I already have one money pit and as much as I don't want the golf to be another one there is more than a few things I want to do haha

TO DO LIST:

• General Service and clean up - DONE
    • Fix exhaust leak
    • Further diagnose fueling system and replace necessary components - DONE
    • Fix mysteriously weak brakes - DONE
    • Get the paint detailed/Fix right hand guard
    • Install some sort of (cheap) sound system (music=me ignoring that rattles of an older car hahaha)
    • Get some 15's or 16's in dark grey/black with a good offset (KINDA DONE)
    • Paint brake calipers yellow (love the look of yellow calipers on silver cars with above coloured rims -see Porsche 911)
    • Get a new radiator core and flush existing coolant
    • Fix interior light
    • Custom Headliner/upholstered seats

And probably more to come when I can think of stuff

Cheers,
    Sam
    Last edited by Goodey; 05-06-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Good stuff!
    Welcome to the forums.
    Looks like the car went into good hands
    I look forward to seeing another Mk2 around the Gold Coast!

(Mines parked in Banora waiting for my return from OS)
    07 GTI
    APR stage II

Users Country Flag
    As a daily they make great cars. Mine has a 2 litre bottom end (find someone wrecking a 2 litre MK3) and a mild cam. Makes it quite nippy in traffic - not super fast but good enough to keep the kids in their V8's honest. Throw on some nice 15's or better yet some 16's, wind down the coils and you've got some street cred without attracting the cops.

If you can't double the legal speed through roundabouts then you're not trying hard enough. These things can be made to go really hard through corners

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks guys,

Yeah driving it around more today i can already see the potential. The coilovers keep it reasonably flat around corners/roundabouts already
    Down the line i'll be looking at the 2 litre bottom end or possibly even a 1.8t conversion to give it a bit more go Unfortunately I have the ultimate first world driving problem which is that most cars now feel slow/lacking after driving around my RX7 for ages which is actually one of the reasons I sold my bike and decided to get a daily in the first place.

Users Country Flag
    Subbed

Interior light works, if you look at the settings it has it has bright-off-dim and they only work with the door open.
    Last edited by martinijosh; 06-03-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Ooh excellent one less thing to do, I'm just at my mates exhaust place now, jacked it up and had a look for any leaks further down and while there was none the entire system looked on its way out, especially the cat converter. When we cut removed it and looked inside the cat we saw that it had completely had it and had actually come apart on the inside and would of been rattling and restricting top end power which Josh had mentioned was an issue in his build thread, hopefully it's also the only source of the rattling exhaust noise as well.

The whole thing should flow a lot more smoothly with a new cat and different mufflers on there

Here's what the new one looks like:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Goodey; 06-03-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hopefully you can get all the issues sorted and bring it out to some of our events!

Haha luckily Josh looked after it well and fixed all the major problems he had with it (mainly ecu related I believe) so there's nothing to nagging left to sort out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Your lucky Goodey!
    Not too many things to fix means more money to spend on performance tweaks!
    07 GTI
    APR stage II

Users Country Flag

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast