Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 85-86 Jetta

Users Country Flag

85-86 Jetta

Hi all, after only 2 weeks out of aircooled I have been offered a 85-86 Jetta apparently imported from the UK by a nana in 1988,1.8 petrol(possibly a GU), 5 speed.Apart from some cosmetic headlight,etc is there much difference to australian MK2 Golf especially in the mechanical.Also any inherent problems in this model?
    Basically trying to determine if parts for a mk2 Jetta(apart from rear) would be mostly be able to sourced locally,I haven't found much that defines the Jetta differences online.
    Any information or internet resource link would be great
    Last edited by Deadpan; 26-06-2016 at 09:17 AM.

fuse box is ce1 in an 86 model , all aussie delivered cars have ce2 fusebox , so lots of things don't interchange, front doors have a quarter window on 86 car , Aussie cars all have one piece front doors , 86 cars have left hand drive wipers , will have square headlights like all Jettas and grill will have extra slats . Mechanical pretty similar , will have drum rear brakes ,all Aussie GTI's have disc rear brakes , the brake master cylinder is a smaller diameter. Front brakes will be solid discs not vented , driveshafts on GTI are bigger (100mm), no rear anti roll bar on none GTI , front anti roll bar is smaller than a GTI.im sure there is more
    89 Mk2 3dr GTI , tornado red , 20V Turbo - weekend sleeper WRX eater 😃 , work in progress .

Users Country Flag
    It's an early MK2 Golf with a boot. Mechanically anything you can swap into the early Golf will go into the Jetta.

Can be made to look pretty good too.

85-86 Jetta-dsc_8401-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Yer as paul said mechanically all the same, same as interior with the exception of the coupes. Probably my favourite shape if only they were more common over here.
    Something new

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I will looking at the Jetta this weekend hopefully it is as good as the sellers description,if I can't drive it with a permit due to mechanical reason for a 100km drive to get it home, I will have to get it towed,so far quotes for towing have been around 300 to 400+

Users Country Flag
    Much cheaper to rent a trailer.

If you really want to go crazy here's the way to do it.

85-86 Jetta-jettasw-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Rented a trailer from the local servo to get my vr6 home. Cost me about $120 for full 24hrs.
    Something new

I am working out options, hire a trailer plus fuel round trip for the boring daily would run about $170 or try to get a reasonable towing quote

2 door or 4 door?

The Jetta is a 4 door,suits my plan, looking inconspicuous

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast