Thread: 2.0 8v

Users Country Flag

2.0 8v

So has anyone here built the infamous 2.0lt 8v?
    I'm currently porting my rv head, and looking to buy a tsr cam 202 I think!
    I'm using a abk bottom end and looking to update to a 140amp mk4 2.0lt alt.
    I will be running the 2e belt set up. Just trying to nut out the ac pulley. If I can change
    My mk2 pulley it has a big bolt, with a serpentine belt style compressed.
    Would appreciate any feed back on what anyone, has done or just some thoughts!
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Do you mean apk?
    Why dont you just use the APK setup?
    I also think that a 140 amp alternator is waaay over the top! a 90 amp golf 3/4 unit will be enough. I run a 90A in my 1.8t conversion and its been fine for 3 years now.
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying do do?
    Are you wanting to use the RV a/c compressor (which is a v-belt) by changing the pulley to fit the ribbed belt setup of the 2E?
    If so, the main issue is even if you can remove the v-type pulley from the RV compressor and put on the ribbed 6PK1153 belt for a 2E setup, you'll have to make sure the offset will line up with the alternator etc. That RV pulley is very wide and has about 3 grooves in it...

The second thing is, the 2E compressor pulley has a clutch type pulley, and im not sure if they are removable/interchangable.

I would just find a 2E compressor and be done with it, or keep all the existing APK stuff on there. As long as the plumbing works...

Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Wade
    Last edited by GOLFBALLS; 19-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    -1990 Mk2 GTI 5-door with AMK 20vt (260hp @ wheels)
    -Arrow/Rotax 125 TAG X1E Go Kart

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Nah abk audi 2.0lt.
    Pretty much looking at keeping the compressor but
    Changing pulley, if I have to upgrade to r134a I will.
    90amps just don't seem enough although I
    Don't want to put my loom under too much stress!
    Trying to get everything working Better, ie, ac, lights, stupid batt light when I start
    The car. Thanks for the tips I have a whole wrecking
    Yard to look through!

I did the conversion once with an Audi 2.0 from an audi 90. Unfortunately was so long ago I can't remember the engine code for the bottom end that I used.

Had issue with the Oil Filter/housing clashing with the front cross member. Also had an issue with the weight of the 2.0 audi bottom end. I reckong it's a good few kg's heavier than the gold. Hope the ABK is lighter then the 2.0 I used.

Users Country Flag

The Audi 3A block under a RV head is the way to go ,heres the key points;
    Called a bubbleblock but not a tallblock so no exhaust downpipe issues (like 2E) as it is the same high as the 1.8 RV motor,
    Cheap to buy,find a Audi 80 with screwed auto and use the complete bottom end of that,
    Rumoured to be a fully forged bottom end but I can't confirm that,
    Use the 1.8 RV 210mm flywheel and clutch,the 2E one is too heavy
    Very strong motor,tough bottom end and has piston oilers.
    Engine uses same cambelt and tentioner as 1.8 RV motor,
    Use latter Dijifant GTI twin branch cast manifold with O2 sensor,
    You will need a block of plate for 3A sump breather (easy to make)or reroute breather to RV rocker cover (best method),I prefer using the breather, its there for a reason,
    Use Golf 1.8 engine mount brackets,
    Use 3a headgasket for the RV head,
    Use all Dijifant fuel injection,use can chip the ecu and tweek the AFM for more power but not required for the swap as it will run fine anyway,
    Change plastic cambelt cover as Audi one has wrong top timing mark,just use your old 1.8 bits,
    This conversion won't make much more power but the torque increase is wonderful,the 3A rev easier that the 1.8 IMO,
    Use 2e cooling pipes and hoses,
    Sump and oil pump needs changing to east west,not a biggie as a new sump gasket is good anyway.
    My conversion features flowed and matchported RV head,Tectonics 268 cam and chip,bigger exhaust and a few other things ,this 2 door haul ass,pulls like a tractor and is a whole lot of fun,............do it.
    1987 Golf GLI Wolfsburg Edition,full gti spec 3a Audi 2 litre on dijifant 2
    1989 Corrado 1.8 16v KR manual (02a) black 15x7 RH cups
    1987 Golf GTI original 3 owner in white.
    Audi Quattro,and various Porsches