Definitive Car

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with the forum lately - extremely slow and locking up when posting

Users Country Flag

There definitely an issue with the site.
    Open the forum page, click a subject, not open, keeps clicking still not open, then the whole page does a refresh itself, then I click the subject, it opens straight away.
    Then this cycle repeats...
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Quick reply seems no issue to me, but editing post I have the laggy issue on typing
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Still perfect here
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Odd that its only happening to some people. Its fine on Tapatalk but crap via browser on PC.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I did have someone the other day who had issues, although it was just flat out not working from one computer. I've just been checking and it appears to be working fine for me from Sydney, there isn't any unusual load or obvious issue on the server. That said, I'm not exactly thrilled with the current service and have been considering moving... but its all time and money.

Are you still having the issue right now?
    Is it limited to any particular time?
    What browser are you using?

I'm away dealing with some family things at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on it when I can. If you've got me on Facebook or messenger or whatever it's worth pinging me when the issue is happening so I can have a look at that moment to see if I can isolate the issue.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I had one day a week or so ago where it was horribly slow to load and replies took about 30-60seconds before loading (other web pages seemed OK)
    But seems to sorted itself now

Edit that: this reply took 30odd seconds and orginal appeared to fail, but then I got the duplicate warning message
    Last edited by dylan8; 28-02-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I get this error a lot - "Error code: SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED"

If I open up task manager and watch Chrome's memory usage it's gobbling up memory like there's no tomorrow. I have a feeling it's one of the advertisements doing it..

Users Country Flag
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    I get this error a lot - "Error code: SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED"

If I open up task manager and watch Chrome's memory usage it's gobbling up memory like there's no tomorrow. I have a feeling it's one of the advertisements doing it..

Very sadly advertising is needed to keep this place running, that said as a logged in member you should only be seeing one slimline ad unit in the top bar and one at the very bottom in the footer (which you might not even notice). Non-logged-in users see a few more embedded within the first and lasts post. In short, log in and you shouldn't see as many ads. They are all served through Google so I wouldn't have thought they would be the limiting factor, it's not like I have to process them in any way.

I'd love to find a way to drop all (or even most) advertising, but forums are getting quieter and quieter thanks to Facebook and the like. Which is a shame for all the build threads and DIY posts. I don't know how many times google turns up links back to this place and all the great work all the members have done over the years.

In any case, if you can grab a screen shot of anything that pops up after a long load I can attempt to track down if it's a particular ad unit or something causing the issue. Same for anyone else having issues, a screen shot of the page when it eventually loads might help track down where the problem is coming from.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I did have someone the other day who had issues, although it was just flat out not working from one computer. I've just been checking and it appears to be working fine for me from Sydney, there isn't any unusual load or obvious issue on the server. That said, I'm not exactly thrilled with the current service and have been considering moving... but its all time and money.

Are you still having the issue right now?
    Is it limited to any particular time?
    What browser are you using?

I'm away dealing with some family things at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on it when I can. If you've got me on Facebook or messenger or whatever it's worth pinging me when the issue is happening so I can have a look at that moment to see if I can isolate the issue.
    I just hit "reply with quote" and it just hung there for 5+ minutes before it finally opened up the text box.

Im using Google Chrome on a 2yr old laptop from Newcastle. It does not seem to be limited by any particular times.

Thanks for looking into it Hawk. I will resort to using Tapatalk for the time being as its very frustrating on a web browser.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

So the issue with text on screen not keeping up with your typing seems to have gotten better (seems to come and go), the issue with posting replies is still ongoing.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast