Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vw to axe all diesel cars in oz

Users Country Flag

Vw to axe all diesel cars in oz

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...tralia-113954/

So if you want a new diesel Golf or Passat act now.

Users Country Flag
    Great news if they were to add electric and hybrids, but no sign e-Golf or GTE are coming to Australia any time soon.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Weird that they are keeping two diesels in the new all space Tiguan and Skoda can't keep one in the Kodiaq even after lots of people waiting for it. I'm happy to get a hybrid Kodiaq in the near future but no sign of them yet.

Users Country Flag
    I think VW is particularly sensitive to emissions/consumption issues, coming off the back of dieselgate, and this is their response. They are keen to lead the way for all Euro brands and be good corporate citizens. This is also reflective of emerging trends away from diesel for passenger cars, especially in light of new WLTP testing. I expect most other brands will follow, especially in Europe, and maybe in the US depending on who wins the current Trump vs California battle. VAG also have a massive range of vehicles across brands and I think they are trying to minimise intra-brand and inter (VAG) brand competition, which has become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Weird that they are keeping two diesels in the new all space Tiguan and Skoda can't keep one in the Kodiaq even after lots of people waiting for it. I'm happy to get a hybrid Kodiaq in the near future but no sign of them yet.
    The Allspace gets built out of the Mexico plant. Whereas all the other models you mentioned are from Europe hence get caught up in the WLTP testing.

Also MY19 Allspace specs have not been announced yet as far as I’m aware so that article may not be completely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Ah, I thought they were South Africa like the other Tiguans. Guess there are less Jettas to make in the Mexico plant now. I'm planning on getting a kodiaq in hybrid form if it exists in 2 years time, not liking my chances despite them saying there would be one around now.

Users Country Flag
    Good riddance. Diesels produce the worst carcinogens and the diesel makes my carpet stink if someone spills some at the petrol pump.

Ben

Current cars
    2015 Polo GTI manual and 2018 Golf GTI Original manual

Previous cars
    2014 Polo GTI DSG, 2013 Golf GTI DSG, 2006 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup manual, 2006 Golf GTI manual, 2005 Golf 2.0 TSI manual, 2001 Astra SRi manual, 2000 Pulsar SSS manual, 1999 Astra CD auto, 1998 Pulsar SLX auto, 1991 Pulsar GL manual, 1981 Subaru Leone auto
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    As the owner of a current, and previous diesel car from the VW family... even I welcome this. We went diesel due to the crazy amount of km the car does. It was an economic choice due to distance vs fuel cost (wife does ~ 30,000km/yr). But what really surprised me is just how efficient the EA888 is on petrol in the Arteon (when driven normally). So that cost/benefit gap is much smaller between petrol and diesel now for our family.

I could almost go 100% electric. If they make a half decent looking car that can do around 450-500km on a charge, and it's sub-$90k, I'd be all over it. I think Tesla will be like the original iPhone of the electric car industry. Good intentions, and ground breaking when it first happened, but as time goes on there will be better electric cars out there, at a better price point; and it'll only be the die-hard Tesla fans or people who are happy to pay the premium for the brand that'll still buy their cars.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    The all electric options mean a change to a way of thinking for me (and plenty of others I'm sure). Until there are electric cars in the current Golf price bracket with decent range I don't know that electric will take off for lots of reasons.

95% of the time I could get by with an electric range of 300km, hell 90% of the time I could do sub 100km and I'd suggest that a huge proportion of people are in that same sort of scenario. The problem becomes what do you do after that? If you've got a second vehicle you could have one petrol and one electric, although you then need think and plan a little more when considering size/features in your cars.

As for diesel, in a smaller passenger car, yes petrol has gotten pretty damn efficent for larger vehicles and especially ones that tow things I still believe diesel is the better option.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Ah, I thought they were South Africa like the other Tiguans. Guess there are less Jettas to make in the Mexico plant now. I'm planning on getting a kodiaq in hybrid form if it exists in 2 years time, not liking my chances despite them saying there would be one around now.
    Oz delivered Tiguans are made in Wolfsburg, Germany. Jetta that was sold here until recently was made in Mexico. I don't think the number of Jettas sold here would really make a large impact on the factory. There clearly weren't enough being sold to justify making it in LHD.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast