Definitive Car

Page 40 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen under investigation over illegal software that masks pollution

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jacs View Post
    I drive a golf7 R which obviously hasn't been affected by the current fiasco. However, has anybody mentioned what all this has done to the valuation of their vehicles, especially those who paid big $$. Im hoping (when and if all this is over with) VW Australia at least do something for all current vw (and vw group cars) owners to restore some confidence!!, after all, we are the only country to my knowledge who get conned with 3 yrs warranty whilst the rest of the world get 5.
    Absolutely jacs! I've said before on this forum that I do want to trade in my almost 3 year old B7 Passat for a B8 Passat; however, the issue of resale and/or compensation will have to be handled delicately by Volkswagen if they want my repeat business. No question in my mind that since the DSG fiasco wholesalers have been wary of the brand, but right now they'd see it as pretty much untouchable. If Volkswagen themselves would give me "peanuts" for my Passat then there would be no stopping me from going to a Mazda6 or Subaru Liberty.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Put it that way. There are makes like Hyundai who produce even more kW from the 2.0L turbo diesels, so unless they cheat the emissions a big way, the VW should have no problem to tune the affected engine to comply and deliver even greater power.
    Why would they just not do that from the start and avoid all of this though?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    may be a retrofit to adblue exhaust, catalyst and either will likely need a whole new performance tune read / write.
    The EA189 engine in transversal configuration does not have the post processing of adblu as part of the configuration. The EA189 in longitudinal configuration does (such as the Amarok).

It is my understanding that the reason for this difference was that they could not fit the adblu post processing setup in transversal configuration.

The announcement overnight form VW says re-flash and larger catalytic converter. This can only result in a loss of power. No mention of Adblu.

When cats were introduced 25 odd years ago there was approximately 30% power loss. The Ferrari F40 came in two guises. With and without a cat. Without a cat the engine produces 400kw, with a cat 356kw. Sure that is many years ago, but there will still be a loss.

Cars sold in Australia at the beginning of the EA189 run fall under the Euro 4 standard, and the cars only just miss that limit so they'll be easier to re-configure hopefully with not much loss of power. Once Australia (ADR) selected Euro 5/6 (2011 onwards) - these are the cars spitting out 200%-400% over the NOx limit. These are the cars will suffer the most loss I think.
    Last edited by minke; 08-10-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I drive a golf7 R which obviously hasn't been affected by the current fiasco. However, has anybody mentioned what all this has done to the valuation of their vehicles, especially those who paid big $$. Im hoping (when and if all this is over with) VW Australia at least do something for all current vw (and vw group cars) owners to restore some confidence!!, after all, we are the only country to my knowledge who get conned with 3 yrs warranty whilst the rest of the world get 5.
    Consider yourself lucky on the warranty because where I am we get TWO yrs!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Ahh crap my Yeti is clear, no free engine deal for me.
    What model engine is in the new Yeti?

I thought the engine performance and economy figures were the same. According to Mahle's parts catalog, there is no new engine code for the newer Yeti.

The CFHC engine in mine is listed as one of the EA189 family. Curious to know what changes they made to the emissions system if the engine is different.

PS affected Yetis are listed as Yeti (2011-2015)

VIN search sites are brand-specific. For Skoda Software Issue Diesel Engines EA189
    Last edited by bluey; 08-10-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    [...]The announcement overnight form VW says re-flash and larger catalytic converter. This can only result in a loss of power. No mention of Adblu. [...]Once Australia (ADR) selected Euro 5/6 (2011 onwards) - these are the cars spitting out 200%-400% over the NOx limit. These are the cars will suffer the most loss I think.
    With a class action from Maurice Blackburn in the wings, VW will be working hard to ensure the "recalled" engines meet the same specifications - power/torque/performance/economy - after being fixed, otherwise they will be up for compensation under the consumer law.

OTOH, if VW does a good job of a remedy, there will be no further compensation required and the class action will fall over. The Maurice Blackburn lawyer on ABS radio this am suggested costs would be borne by the lead applicant if no compensation resulted. So wondering who is brave enough to ante up for costs?????

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    [...]The announcement overnight form VW says re-flash and larger catalytic converter.[...]
    Please do you have a source for that?

Users Country Flag
    Is the US rest of the world? Because, last time I've checked the VW warranty, it was 2 years in UK and most likely the same in many EU countries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post
    With a class action from Maurice Blackburn in the wings, VW will be working hard to ensure the "recalled" engines meet the same specifications - power/torque/performance/economy - after being fixed, otherwise they will be up for compensation under the consumer law.

OTOH, if VW does a good job of a remedy, there will be no further compensation required and the class action will fall over. The Maurice Blackburn lawyer on ABS radio this am suggested costs would be borne by the lead applicant if no compensation resulted. So wondering who is brave enough to ante up for costs?????
    Maybe someone with the backing of Toyota Australia as this is all about VWG trying to become dominant #1 in the world.
    TIGUAN MY09 103 TDI auto, White,18in Alloys,MDI ,Bk Leather, Comfort Pack, Park Assist, Fog Lights, Sun-roof & Tow Bar / VW roof racks running Goodyear Assymetric 2 Tyres
    GOLF 7 MY14.5 Pure White,TDI Bi-Xenon, S/roof,Adaptive CC, DAP, Leather, Pirelli Tyres

Users Country Flag

And the plot thickens

Volkswagen Withdrew All Of Its 2016 Diesel EPA Certification Requests

"In his testimony to Congress earlier today, Volkswagen USA CEO Michael Horn revealed that the company has pulled back on its current EPA certification applications for 2016 model year diesels, delaying sales of new models indefinitely.

The issue over a software device fitted to over 400,000 Diesel Volkswagen models that violates compliance with EPA regulations will now delay any future sales of their upcoming Diesel models as well, like the 2016 Passat.

The company has previously submitted its 2016 diesel models to be certified for sale in the US by the EPA, but with the revelation that over three generations of VW diesel engines cheated in their certification tests, the company has removed its submission, preventing the new cars from being sold at all."

Page 40 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast