Support VWWC

Thread: which VAG gti?

which VAG gti?

Hi all, I'm in the market for a 2nd hand VW and the following two is what I'm looking at.
    The first is a mk6 Golf GTI 2012 my13 model, 3dr, manual with 150,000k's on the clock. its fully loaded with every option ticked from the factory. looks to be in pretty good condition.
    The second is a Polo GTI 2016, 5dr,manual, 100,000k's and the lux pack optioned. Also in good nick.
    they are both comparable in price but obviously a bit different spec/engine/platform wise.
    mk6 could be a better day to day car as its fully loaded but the polo also could be more fun and is quite well specd.

They both are quite high k's obviously the polo is relatively higher in terms of years.
    Resale in a few years could be comparable with the golf being over 200,000 and the polo would be pushing 150,000.
    My main use is daily driving and carting things like gym bags, groceries and work gear.

I would be happy with either of these cars but it would be good to get some opinions from those who have had either of these cars or currently own them.
    Golf
    carsales.com.au

Polo
    carsales.com.au

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I've had Golfs since 2001 and Polos too since 2013 coz I couldn't afford two Golfs, and as much as I love the ease of parking the Polo, it just feels too small. The driving position is quite high so despite it being a GTI performance variant, it's doesn't feel as sporty as the Golf GTIs I've had (Mk5 and 6).

But my experience is irrelevant really. Drive both and choose what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    I would get the Golf GTI - they just look better than the Polo.

The Polo arguably has the better engine (with the newer 1.8L turbo and not the woeful older 1.4L twincharge) but they are too narrow which makes them look tall and leaves them looking a bit odd in my opinion and they are a bit cramped inside.

The Golf (especially in 3 door guise) just looks tougher and more purposeful on the road, while having a good balance of big enough and small enough.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-12-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the input guys. I really liked the golf but the k's 155,000 when I saw it ultimately put me off. Even though the engine was well looked after all the other components could start to fail and just end up costing me more. I'd say its worth more around the 10k mark not the 15k he wanted (covid inflation rate) haha. Yes I agree with the points with the polo but its just a better buy as its newer has had the water pump and thermostat replaced has the EA888 engine and every service completed, plus it was priced more realistically. I got it for 15k in the end which for that model (2016) they were going for around the 20k mark. So when all this covid stuff calms down and the market does the same I'll have a car which is close to worth what I paid and hopefully won't lose too much on.... fingers crossed. If I paid 20k for it I'd be pissed later that's for sure.

Users Country Flag
    I saw that the Polo was no longer available when I looked on Carsales so I wondered if you might have bought that one. Congrats and hope you enjoy the car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Congrats!

I would have gone the Polo too. Although I'm not a massive fan of the seat position for the driver, the newer car with the Gen3 EA888 would have sold it for me
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I saw that the Polo was no longer available when I looked on Carsales so I wondered if you might have bought that one. Congrats and hope you enjoy the car.
    Thanks, I'm sure I will until I get bored...... again haha

Congrats!

I would have gone the Polo too. Although I'm not a massive fan of the seat position for the driver, the newer car with the Gen3 EA888 would have sold it for me
    Thanks
    Yeah the seat hight is a little high but I'm long limbed so hopefully not to bad. I wonder if there's a mod out there to lower it some more??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    Yeah the seat height is a little high but I'm long limbed so hopefully not to bad. I wonder if there's a mod out there to lower it some more??
    Yes there is, see link here
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST