Support VWWC

Thread: Used Touareg or Q5

Used Touareg or Q5

Hello Dubbers
    We need a used SUV for next 2-3 years after which I will sell and buy a new car. Budget is 20k and two options are Touareg and Q5 with around 100-120k odo readings. I am looking at only petrol engines.

What are your thoughts on these and what should I be wary of before the purchase? Any particular year model I should be concentrating on?

Thanks in advance.
    2018 MK7.5 Lapiz Wolf Wagon with Roof

Users Country Flag
    If you get a Q5 then i would definitely stay away from the 2.0 Turbo petrol engine (which is the most common engine) as this engine has quite a few issues (timing chain stretch, timing chain tensioner failing causing total engine failure, piston ring issues requiring new pistons and rings to be fitted....just to name a few).

The 3.2L V6 petrol, or the 2.0TDI / 3.0TDI (both diesels) in the Q5 would be the much safer pick.

The Touareg is available in a V6 petrol engine. This engine is generally very reliable (same engine is used in various Audi's and other VW's) but bear in mind it will be very thirsty pulling the weight of the Touareg around. I very much doubt you will get anywhere near the claimed 10.1L/100km figure.

Another bonus of the V6 petrol engine is that its a nice smooth and great sounding engine, as well as being quite easy to work on for maintenance items (spark plugs/belts/etc).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Any reason why you wouldn't look at diesel?

I'd be looking at the 3.0TDI in either if I was purchasing. Otherwise the V6 petrol but they are much harder to come by and much more thirsty (which is why they didn't sell so well as new).

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If you get a Q5 then i would definitely stay away from the 2.0 Turbo petrol engine (which is the most common engine) as this engine has quite a few issues (timing chain stretch, timing chain tensioner failing causing total engine failure, piston ring issues requiring new pistons and rings to be fitted....just to name a few).

The 3.2L V6 petrol, or the 2.0TDI / 3.0TDI (both diesels) in the Q5 would be the much safer pick.

The Touareg is available in a V6 petrol engine. This engine is generally very reliable (same engine is used in various Audi's and other VW's) but bear in mind it will be very thirsty pulling the weight of the Touareg around. I very much doubt you will get anywhere near the claimed 10.1L/100km figure.

Another bonus of the V6 petrol engine is that its a nice smooth and great sounding engine, as well as being quite easy to work on for maintenance items (spark plugs/belts/etc).
    Thanks. Thats very helpful as I was also looking at turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Any reason why you wouldn't look at diesel?

I'd be looking at the 3.0TDI in either if I was purchasing. Otherwise the V6 petrol but they are much harder to come by and much more thirsty (which is why they didn't sell so well as new).
    hmm never owned before and concerned about noise etc..I need to sell the car in 203 years..diesels are slowly phasing out..What are your thoughts on diesel when comes to selling? will it be easy or difficult as times goes by.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by macdub View Post
    hmm never owned before and concerned about noise etc..I need to sell the car in 203 years..diesels are slowly phasing out..What are your thoughts on diesel when comes to selling? will it be easy or difficult as times goes by.
    I know your comment wasn't aimed at me.....but i have a 2015 Audi SQ5 with the V6 diesel twin turbo and its very quiet both inside and outside the car - you wouldn't know its a diesel too be honest. Its much different to all of the far more agricultural diesels found in ute's like the Hilux / Ranger etc which are much louder engines.

Have a look at just about every car brand that offers a SUV or a ute these days, they either offer a under-powered petrol engine, or a much more adequately powered turbo diesel engine. They basically force you to buy the diesel because the petrol version is gutless. Australia has very much adopted diesel engines over the past 10 years or so.

And look at the list of best selling cars in Australia - Hilux, Ranger, Triton & Isuzu D-Max are all in the top 10 Top Selling Cars Australia | 10 Best Selling Models – Canstar Blue .Personally I don't think diesel cars are going away any time soon in Australia (although i do agree that petrol engines are getting better and better and the gap in both power/torque and fuel economy between a petrol and diesel is getting closer these days).

If you are only planning to own the car for 2-3 years I think the issue you may face when trying to sell it wont be the fact that its a diesel, it will be the fact that its a 8 year old European car without any warranty and potential buyers may be scared of potential mechanical issues.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    ^
    What he said, plus read this article Mazda issues long-term commitment to diesel engines - Chasing Cars

It’s not long ago when Volvo manufacturer announced that they’ll seize production of combustion engines and all their cars would be electric from 2019 on.
    LOL, what a spectacular fail.

Touareg with the 3.0TDI if it was my money.