Thread: How to record video in car - Proof for police etc.

Users Country Flag

Question How to record video in car - Proof for police etc.

Hi All,

I got pulled over the other day because I supposedly threw a wrapper out of the window.

I was behind a 4WD and as it drove it picked up the wrapper from the road and threw it up in the air. I think as our cars are a bit more aerodynamic it made a nice path over the bonnet onto the windscreen and out over the driver side. The police saw something flying on the side and that was it.

I was then breath tested and then told that I will be getting a fine in the mail for littering. I asked if they were recording and told them what happened but the officer said that he saw it and so did his fellow officer. Now it is 1 vs 2 people for witnesses.

So my question is how can I get a nice elegant solution for recording video? I have seen some of the GPS looking kits that can be mounted with a suction cup to the windscreen. I think that is ugly and I don’t want cables (charger) etc. hanging around.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    MJ

Users Country Flag
    After a fair bit of research, I bought this one ....

GOTRACK GPS Vehicle Tracking Australia: Web based GPS Tracking My View Incar DVR Dash Camera

It records in full HD, is fairly small and if fitted as I did to the left of the rear view mirror, you can barely see it from the driver seat. You can route the cable around the edge of the screen and then feed the cable behind the fuses and out to the power outlet.

One day when I get roundtoit, I'll hard wire it. The company is good to deal with and the camera has performed faultlessly for me.

Users Country Flag
    A couple of cops there making the world a better place!

They should have to swab your mouth and prove you just ate something. Collect the alleged wrapper from the side of the road and check it for fingerprints.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by preeman View Post
    Hi All,

I got pulled over the other day because I supposedly threw a wrapper out of the window.

I was behind a 4WD and as it drove it picked up the wrapper from the road and threw it up in the air. I think as our cars are a bit more aerodynamic it made a nice path over the bonnet onto the windscreen and out over the driver side. The police saw something flying on the side and that was it.

I was then breath tested and then told that I will be getting a fine in the mail for littering. I asked if they were recording and told them what happened but the officer said that he saw it and so did his fellow officer. Now it is 1 vs 2 people for witnesses.

So my question is how can I get a nice elegant solution for recording video? I have seen some of the GPS looking kits that can be mounted with a suction cup to the windscreen. I think that is ugly and I don’t want cables (charger) etc. hanging around.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    MJ

Users Country Flag
    I doubt you'll get the fine in the mail. If you do - take it to court. You would win.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Thinking about it, if they pulled you up, did they not give you the ticket on the spot?? Like they would if you got pulled in a radar trap??

you can also get video cameras by brand "kaiser baas" from officeworks, they take a sd card and have a little flip down screen.

they're only like $90.

here is the link

Last edited by Buller_Scott; 19-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller_Scott View Post
    you can also get video cameras by brand "kaiser baas" from officeworks, they take a sd card and have a little flip down screen.

they're only like $90.

here is the link

Sure is good value and makes my choice bloody expensive, but I wanted Full HD and GPS positioning.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by preeman View Post
    I was then breath tested and then told that I will be getting a fine in the mail for littering. I asked if they were recording and told them what happened but the officer said that he saw it and so did his fellow officer. Now it is 1 vs 2 people for witnesses
    MJ
    Doubt you'll get a fine.

Mate of mine was told the same thing when a copper pulled him over for honking his horn at the copper. Copper had done an illegal U-turn over double lines at the exit of a blind corner. I think it was the cops way of wasting some of my mates time & saving face on his part.

Wife is dealing with Police at the moment. She says it's like being a Supervisor to a trainee. She has to keep making suggestions as to how they investigate the case. eg: regarding a phone number they have traced. Her: "so have you worked out where the phone is & who owns it?" Police:"Do you think we should?".
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums