Definitive Car

Thread: UK Insurance & Rego - how does it work?

Users Country Flag

UK Insurance & Rego - how does it work?

Aussie member here... and I'm always curious how the UK registration system works, when I read various threads on here.

Also a massive (original) Top Gear fan, and confused with their terminology also.

It seems your car registration and insurance systems are vastly advanced from our here in the colony..... if I'm making the correct assumptions.

Can someone please explain your car registration system in a manner n00bs will understand.

Specifically curious about "I have a 66 plate vehicle." What does this mean? It's obviously not the manufacturing year?

Also curious about "tax discs" - I understand diesel cars are all the rage over there, because of lower/less harmful (allegedly) emissions.... causing your rego or insurance to be cheaper?

Or does it go by engine capacity?

I fully understand that in congested cities like London, the smaller/less emitting vehicles are cheaper to register/insure, to encourage use by the population to reduce emissions etc, etc... but how does it actually work over there?

Here in Australia, our registrations are generally based on number of cylinders. 4cyl/rotary, 6cyl, 8cyl. Not sure if the 8cyl is used for larger engines like V10 & V12. There's no distinction between petrol versus diesel, turbo versus NA, CO2 emissions versus fuel consumption, etc, etc.

So a V8 diesel Landcruiser costs the same to register as a petrol Holden Commodore V8 SS (what you call the Vauxhall VXR !

Car Insurance here seems to ONLY be concerned with claims-history & availability of parts, & your location. There's no reductions in insurance costs here, for advanced safety or accident-avoidance technology in your car, no reductions for having dash-cameras installed, no reductions for having completed advanced driver safety training (maybe a few very exclusive insurances offer a reduction on this, but none I've ever found)
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Did you adjust your notification preferences as advised in the OBDII thread
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Rego cost is based on emissions. As assessed by the government using manufacturers figures.

Insurance is on claims history.

There's nothing included with the rego. Which to pay for requires, you to have a minimum of third party only. Which is like CTP. Then you can get 3rd party fire and theft or fully comp.

The centre numbers change on the plates every 6 months, I am not 100% on this having been here since 2006 but a 66 plate means it was registered in the second half of 2016 IIRC.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Did you adjust your notification preferences as advised in the OBDII thread
    Yep - already had that set. I just prefer seeing a little balloon next to my name when I sign in to indicate a subscribed thread having new posts (similar to Briskoda forums), rather than having to check emails.
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    The centre numbers change on the plates every 6 months, I am not 100% on this having been here since 2006 but a 66 plate means it was registered in the second half of 2016 IIRC.......
    Thanks mate - that makes it a bit clearer with the "I've got a xx-plate vehicle" comments

Users Country Flag

You have to have a minimum of third party insurance which covers damage to other cars and property along with injury to people. You can also get fully comp etc.
    Cars over three years old need an MOT which is a road worthy test of brakes suspension emissions seat belts bodywork etc. and is done annually from then.
    You should get all you need from here https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving