Definitive Car

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota 86

Toyota have just announced prices:

GT: $29,990

GTS: $35,490

Very decently priced, im sure these will sell very well.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Users Country Flag
    I've had 3 BMW coupes (All Ms) with NA 3.2 straight sixes and they were brilliant. Atmospheric cutout (8000rmin) and linear power. Beautifully balanced, especially the E46 and loved them all.

And you know what, the 1st time I drove a turbo car I was hooked and my interest in NA reduced dramatically. Balance is great, but add some turbo torque and hp and the game changes. Keeps you on your toes ..... love to have another E46 M3, only this time with some forced induction extra .....

BTW, turbo 86 maybe not so far off .... SPOTTED : Turbocharged Scion FR-S / Toyota 86

Listen for the blow-off at 25s in ..... I'll take mine in red thank you.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 04-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Didn't they also say they've sold out?

Guys were coming in with deposits even before it was confirmed

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FSI 220 View Post
    I think it will be a cracker, particularly as P Platers will concievably have those dollars... it would be a great first car..

I would love to chuck one around wakefield... sure other things will beat it by 4, 10, 20 seconds but this is the sort of car that rewards you if you nail a lap... you dont have masses of power to catch you back up if you fluff it, it is all about flow and maintaining momentum... nice and light , wont eat pads, and tyres and rotors as much... etc. etc... and wont drink like a sailor...

It is all IMHO of course... and the best thing about it is if i am ever caught outside one at the lights with a Parked Car up ahead, i dont have to break a sweat to merge in front safely.... (TIC)
    I can see lots of my friends who don't have cars already liking this 86. Although for me, I'm a euro only kind of person. The only japanese car I will drive would be a honda. I think if a euro brand did something like this at an affordable price, then I would be very interested.

I still think its silly how P-platers can drive this but not a polo gti or ds3 dsport :L
    TRADED THE BEE'12 Sport Yellow/Black Citroen DS3 DSport THP155(155cv/153bhp) 6-spd manual w/ tech pack.

'18 BMW 125i M-Sport | Sunset Orange | Sunroof | ZF 8-spd auto

Users Country Flag
    If you're focusing on power you're missing the point of this car I think. Its about handling purity, not outright speed.

If I was in the market for a sporty car, I'd take this over everything. Hands down.

Who cares if its not fast, it'd be awesome to punt around a track!

At 29k starting point, thats a bargain!
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLfMan View Post
    If you're focusing on power you're missing the point of this car I think. Its about handling purity, not outright speed.

If I was in the market for a sporty car, I'd take this over everything. Hands down.

Who cares if its not fast, it'd be awesome to punt around a track!

At 29k starting point, thats a bargain!
    I disagree, the novelty will wear off very quickly if you have to drive it daily ..... it will only make sense in its current form on the race track .... which is 1% of the time .....

This is the telling figure: Torque: 205Nm at 6400-6800rpm ....

Be pretty ordinary as a daily driver IMO.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_EGG View Post
    I can see lots of my friends who don't have cars already liking this 86. Although for me, I'm a euro only kind of person. The only japanese car I will drive would be a honda. I think if a euro brand did something like this at an affordable price, then I would be very interested.

I still think its silly how P-platers can drive this but not a polo gti or ds3 dsport :L
    Mmmmm, I personally think Euro is highly overrated ..... and I've had 9 VWs, 5 BMWs etc and a number of Toyotas over the years.

If a Euro did this type of car it would break down .... often ....

Always said that if Toyota built a real drivers car (again) I'd buy it. Well IMO they are now 85% there with this.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    I thought it would be an awesome car. Unfortunately starting to think other wise. Should have a turbocharger.

Originally I thought a cool idea would be a 3.2 v8 (2x4age's) or something.

Saw a video of it getting beating by 2 seconds by a s2000 on the 1/4.

However, 30k is pretty good value if it's anything like the old ae86.
    You don't need a turbocharger to make a car fun, S2000 and MX5 were a blast to drive due to the RWD+weight combo. I don't see this being too different for the time being
    MKV GTI Pirelli

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bwen View Post
    You don't need a turbocharger to make a car fun, S2000 and MX5 were a blast to drive due to the RWD+weight combo. I don't see this being too different for the time being
    Agreed, and just look at the Renault Clio RS200, also a great car to drive with no turbocharger. But I think there needs to be more happy, high-revving sporty small cars around. Because most manufacturers seem to be leaning towards small capacity-turbocharging. Ashame the Civic Type R had to die . Although turbocharging certainly helps for a daily drive but it takes away most of the 'rawness' of it (megane RS being an exclusion =.=). Still, there are lots and lots of fun turbo cars too, Mini Cooper S, Scirocco R etc.

I wouldn't mind test-driving the 86 just to see what the fuss is about but as a daily drive, I think it will be a bit of a let down.
    TRADED THE BEE'12 Sport Yellow/Black Citroen DS3 DSport THP155(155cv/153bhp) 6-spd manual w/ tech pack.

'18 BMW 125i M-Sport | Sunset Orange | Sunroof | ZF 8-spd auto

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast