Thread: Total key / ignition replacement - how?

Users Country Flag

Total key / ignition replacement - how?

I may get hold of a 2012 VW in the near future for a project, but it has 1 major issue .... no keys whatsoever.

What would be the best process in getting new keys?

1. Take the VIN and proof of purchase to VW and have them (magically) produce a new key (at a fee)?, or
    2. Get a set of replacement locks (doors and ignition) with keys and then have the keys programmed to the ECU?

What would be the effort required for #2 above? Locks I can do myself, coding will require some special help I'm assuming.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Probably have to get the whole lock and steering column unit replaced Possibly $1500 worth as Passat Key fobs are over $350 each according to the dealer when I bought my B7
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    2012 VW what?
    Important piece of information as not all immobilizer schemes are the same in each car.

Yes VW can create a new pre-coded key and then perform an all-keys-lost immo adaptation using ODIS online.
    You'd also need new key barrels and key blades etc.

A good automotive locksmith should also have tools which can achieve the same outcome for considerably lower cost.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    2012 VW what?
    Important piece of information as not all immobilizer schemes are the same in each car.

Yes VW can create a new pre-coded key and then perform an all-keys-lost immo adaptation using ODIS online.
    You'd also need new key barrels and key blades etc.

A good automotive locksmith should also have tools which can achieve the same outcome for considerably lower cost.
    It will be an Up!. As I start the process to make the Amarok AWD, I need another car for my son to drive .... and what better than a project I have long wanted to start .... taking a base Up! and turn it into an Up! GTI equivalent.

1.0TSI transplant incoming

Thanks, I'll start looking for a good automotive locksmith in Brisbane.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

Ah ok. I have no experience of the PQ12 platform at all sorry.
    If I were to hazard a guess I'd imagine though that the immo scheme would be the same as PQ25 and PQ35 - namely immobilizer is in the cluster.
    So it should be possible to pull the cluster out and create new coded transponders to match the immo. Then need new key blades and barrels.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500