Thread: small amounts of rust removal on mk1

small amounts of rust removal on mk1

just a little around the rear window seal, about 10cm long by 2cm wide one or two other patched on the car of a similar size

they can both be fixed by bog and spray not cutting and welding in new metal, does anyone know how much roughly this would be to fix?

bog does not fix rust.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

ahh k I thought if its just on the surface they sand or scrub it back some how then treat and fill with bog then paint over

so forget the bog how mow much would I up for, just 2-3 little rust patches?

It really depends on how deep the rust is.

If the rust is as big as you describe, I would hazard a guess and say that it should be cut out and new steel welded in, as this is the proper way to remove rust.

However, you wouldn't be the first person to wire brush the rust, use a rust convertor and use some bog to smooth the surface. This is not the best method of doing it. It's hard to say exactly what's best, without seeing it in person.

As for quotes, best talk to a few panel shops or restoration shops if you want it done professionally.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Chances are when you remove the window and seal you will find a hole, as Jarred has said, bog wont fix a hole , it'll just rust again at some point .

Before removig the window have yourself get in the back and then get a mate, yer mum or yer missus to hose the back down around the seal and watch for water ingress, sometimes not necessarily directly around the seal.. it can leak in under the seal then come out the hatch internal holes... as my daily scirocco's does..
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...