Support VWWC

Thread: Side Wing Mirror - Glass Fallen Off - Proper Solution?

Users Country Flag

Question Side Wing Mirror - Glass Fallen Off - Proper Solution?

Hi all,
    On my 2009 Tiguan @120,000KM, but I figure it's possible with any/all cars.
    That said, I've never heard/read of it before.

I noticed my mirror was shaking, increasingly every few days.

I eventually started feeling around, and the glass pretty-much just fell-off in my hand. (Phew!)

99% of the adhesive has remained on the mirror mechanism, dry, cured, baked. Really hard to describe the material, how thick it is, where/how to remove it. It's like there's a thin super-glue like layer on a rubbery layer. Where that horizontal figure-8 is, you can push/manipulate it, but no-where else. Note where I've scratched my fingernail down it - And also, the vertical dashed-line that's seen on the mirror by driver.

I've asked many crafty people, but they're simply saying "Silicon, mate". I'd like a proper fix. How & what to remove, and how to re-fix the glass back on it. Or is the mirror-glass useless now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Side Wing Mirror - Glass Fallen Off - Proper Solution?-i8lnoil-jpg  

I would use eurothene which is what they use for windscreens , bit better than silicone . If the mirror when viewed from the front is all good then it should be fine to reuse it . if its the same as our T5 vans they can be a bugger to remove as they are fitted with ball and socket type fiittngs . When you fit a new one you put it in place and hold your breath while forcing it back onto the ball fittings , I would just refit the old one with the sealant . Clean the surface of the mirror and backing with some sort of cleaner .

Blog Entries
    This exact situation happened to my drivers side tonight, but the glass hit the ground....smash!
    I'll expect a nasty price to repair it? Any ideas? Can the dealer do it competently or a panel beater or can I do it with the right part?
    Any one have any intel on this? Thanks
    TIGUAN MY09 103 TDI auto, White,18in Alloys,MDI ,Bk Leather, Comfort Pack, Park Assist, Fog Lights, Sun-roof & Tow Bar / VW roof racks running Goodyear Assymetric 2 Tyres
    GOLF 7 MY14.5 Pure White,TDI Bi-Xenon, S/roof,Adaptive CC, DAP, Leather, Pirelli Tyres

Users Country Flag
    You can replace the mirror glass on it's own.

It clips into place, but be midfull of the wire connector on the back of it for the heated element, if yours has heated mirrors.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EggsBenny View Post
    I'd like a proper fix. How & what to remove, and how to re-fix the glass back on it. Or is the mirror-glass useless now?
    Grab some sandpaper or a scouring pad from the kitchen and scrape as much of the old glue as you can off the mirror mechanism and the back of the mirror. Don't worry if you don't get all of it off, it's not the end of the world.

Get some Kwikgrip glue and smear a thin layer on the mirror mechanism and on the back of the mirror. Leave for a couple of minutes until the glue gets tacky but doesn't lift when you touch it and carefully line up the mirror and gently push it into place. Leave for 30 minutes for the glue to harden and you've got a permanent repair.

Check the other mirror to make sure it isn't ready to fall out too.

Cheers

Paul